A very Happy Janmashtami to all my Hindu friends that’s celebrating this auspicious occasion today. May you all have a blessed day!
My family absolutely loves pasta of any kind, any form, any shape, any sauce as long as it’s pasta! So i think today is that Creamy Mushroom Pasta kinda day! I went shopping a few days ago just to grab a few items but I came back with a box full of veggies. To my surprise I walked into the veggie store and they had vegetable galore and it was all selling for R10, can you believe that.
In Johannesburg we pay a packet for everything. These veggies were all fresh and just unpacked so it’s why I bought it. Usually I am really fussy about quality and where I buy my veggies from. I picked up 2 trays of mushroom for 20 bucks. I usually pay more than that for 1 tray of mushrooms. I had to use up those mushrooms before they go bad so I made this delicious Creamy Mushroom Pasta. It is so yum!
I cooked my sauce in one-pot. I then added my pasta to it so it can cook in the sauce for a few minutes. Therefore you need not cook your pasta all the way through. We don’t want mushy pasta. This pasta is perfectly delicious on it’s own but I am going to sprinkle some cheese and pop it in the oven at dinner time. Only because I know my family would love some cheese. So you can totally turn this dish into a pasta bake. You can use a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar cheese or just one of it, sprinkle some paprika over and pop it into the oven for a few minutes. I know that golden brown, gooey layer of cheese is going to be heaven.
In my list of ingredients you will see I added some Chipotle Sauce. It’s just to give my pasta a little smoky flavor. You can totally omit it from the pasta if you don’t have any.
You can try some of other favourite pasta dishes:
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 2 cups dry pasta
- 250 gram white button mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tspn paprika
- 1/2 tspn chipotle spice
- 1&1/2 tspn Ina Parmaan Garlic and Herb spice
- 1-2 green chillies chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cake wheat flour
- 2&1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar or mozarella cheese optional
- Cook the pasta until it's almost cooked, as per package instructions, drain and set aside. Reserve a cup of the pasta water
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté onion until translucent
- Add garlic and chilli and fry for a minute
- Add mushroom together with the chipotle spice, paprika, garlic and herb spice and fry on high heat until all the liquid has reduced and mushrooms are brown
- Reduce heat. Add the 2 tablespoons of butter to the mushroom and when it melts add the flour
- Cook the flour for a minute and add the milk
- Mix until the sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well. Let is simmer for about 3 minutes. Add more of the pasta water if sauce is too thick
- If you are adding cheese, sprinkle it on top with a little paprika and bake in the oven for a few minutes until cheese is golden brown