This is another dish that my kids absolutely love. I have been cooking this Lamb Pasta Bake like forever. My kids don’t eat much red meat but they do love a good Lamb Curry or a Lamb Pasta. When I had all 3 boys at home I used to cook it more often but now that I just have the little one at home he only gets to enjoy these dishes when my 18 year old is home. It’s just not worth making a big dish for just one tiny person.
Yesterday we had a meeting at my son’s college so I wanted to cook him something to take with. He requested this Lamb Pasta Bake. It’s made with just a few ingredients and I add a little bit of cheese, I say little because my kids really don’t enjoy cheese in their pasta. Who doesn’t love cheese…..crazy kids!
I think this dish will freeze well too, only I don’t freeze much. I grew up in a home where everything was freshly cooked. We never had frozen meals ever. Somedays I think I should actually try cooking huge batches of food and pop them in the freezer. Life would be so much easier but I just couldn’t.
One of the ingredients I use is a can of tomatoes but I do find some canned tomatoes to be far too acidic. The only one I am enjoying for now is the Woolworths brand. It’s not overly sour and therefore I don’t need to add loads of sugar to my dishes. For this Lamb Pasta Bake I just added a little pinch of sugar. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my kids do.
Lamb Pasta Bake
- 500 gram lamb mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 tspn minced garlic
- 2 tspn Ina Paarman's garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tspn oregano
- 1 tspn chilli powder
- 1x400 gram canned tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 2 cups dried pasta
- 1 cup grated cheese cheddar or mozzarella
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cake wheat flour
- 1&1/2 cups warm milk
- Heat a large pan on high heat and brown the mince
- Turn the temperature down to low to medium heat and add the onions bay leaf and thyme
- Once the onion is translucent add the garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add the garlic and herb seasoning, chilli powder, oregano and cook for a few seconds
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes to an hour. If the sauce is too thick you can add a little water during cooking time.
- Boil the pasta as per package instructions
- Melt the butter on a low heat. Add the flour and whisk until it's smooth
- Gradually whisk in the milk
- Allow it to simmer gently until the sauce starts to thicken, about 6-8 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
Layering the Pasta
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Layer half the lamb sauce at the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Drizzle about 1/3 of the white sauce on top
- Add half the pasta on top of the lamb sauce
- Add another layer of mince sauce, pasta and the final layer should be the remaining white sauce. Sprinkle some cheese over and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or just until the cheese melts