I guess my family can only do so much roast veggies and salads. Today it’s a Spicy Chicken Pasta Recipe, my kids favourite comfort food. My older son is at college and when he comes home on weekends all he wants is this Chicken Pasta, you would swear it’s the only thing I could cook.
This Spicy Chicken Pasta Recipe is so simple, you can have a meal on your table in less than 30 minutes. It’s comforting, spicy and oh so yummy!
I love spicing up my chicken before I add them to pasta. It makes it all the more delicious. I’ve tried making it with cajun spice, garlic and chilli, hot chilli sauce and many more spicy variations. Everyone needs a bit of spice in their lives every once in a while.
If you are daring enough you can even add a bit of chilli when marinating your chicken with the spices for this recipe.
Making a white/bechamel sauce can be intimidating at first, I was scared to make one when I was younger too. Mainly because I thought I would have a lumpy sauce, and yes I did have lumpy sauce in my early days of cooking. However, I quickly figured the secret to getting a smooth sauce, my trusted old whisk, it works like magic. Use a whisk to stir your sauce and you will never have lumpy sauce again.
As we all know Chicken Breasts are also tricky to cook, it can overcook very easily and the it becomes all chewy. Nobody wants that as it just ruins a good dish. I cook my Chicken Breasts on medium to high heat and I cook it just enough on both sides, usually about 4 to 5 minutes per side. I make a little slit in the centre of the breast to check if it’s cooked, no fancy gadgets required.
My kids love a saucy dish so I add a little less pasta to this Spicy Chicken Pasta Recipe just so they can enjoy that sauciness. You can add more pasta if you wish. When boiling your pasta you need to pop your pasta into a pot of boiling water, add some salt and it’s good to go. You can also reserve some of the pasta water to add to the sauce, to thin it down when serving. Apparently the pasta water is liquid gold and it’s what adds a silky richness to the sauce. I also don’t add oil to my pasta as I find that the sauce adheres to the pasta better without the oil.
Creamy Spicy Chicken Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 gram chicken breasts
- 2 tspn Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 1/2 tspn garam masala
- 1&1/2 tspn ginger/garlic paste
- 1/4 cup/60ml buttermilk
- juice of half a lemon
- 1&1/2 to 2 cups dried pasta I used penne
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cake wheat flour
- 2&1/2 cups/625ml milk
- 1/2 cup/125ml fresh cream
- Marinate the chicken breasts with the chilli powder, cumin, garam masala, ginger/garlic paste, lemon juice, buttermilk and some salt and pepper. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Make the white sauce by melting the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the mixture off the stove and whisk in half the milk, a little at a time. Using a whisk prevents a lumpy sauce.
- Return the sauce to the heat and keep stirring. Add the remaining milk and cream and stir until it thickens forming a smooth, silky sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Should cook for about 8 minutes. Place a clingfilm over the sauce to prevent a skin forming on top and set aside
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium to high heat and fry the chicken. About 5 minutes on each side until chicken is soft, tender and cooked all the way through
- Boil pasta in a pot of boiling water with some salt, should be al la dente. Drain and set aside. You can reserve a little of the pasta water to add to the sauce when serving. You can chop up the chicken breasts and mix it all together with the sauce and pasta or you can mix the pasta with the sauce and place the sliced chicken on top. I prefer to mix it all together in the same pot I used to cook the chicken, the remaining juices and spice from the chicken adds to the flavour of the pasta