I know I’ve been off the radar for far too long now, well that’s how long it takes incompetent people to fix up cupboards. What a trying couple of months it’s been, I think people have abused my kindness and it’s why what’s supposed to be a smooth transition into our new home has become a total disaster. No more “nice guy”, I think I’m going to have to practice how to be nasty from now on… I know a few of those so I think I will have to take some tips from them ….hahaha! One thing’s for sure if I’m having a bad day or bad months this Creamy Chilli and Garlic Prawn Pasta is sure to lift my spirits. It’s delicious and comforting, exactly what I needed.
My hubby being pescatarian doesn’t always make life easy in terms of cooking. Usually I have to cook a few different dishes but this is one dish that is loved by all in my family so it’s a definite winner. This is one time where I can stick to cooking one dish and everybody eats it without a moan. That’s rare in this house, a bunch of picky eaters I have.
If you have tried any of my other prawn recipes you would know that I always add course salt to my prawns and rub it in, it helps take away all the yucky stuff. I then rinse it a few times, I hate chewing on a prawn and it tastes like sand…yuck! You will then need to squeeze all the excess water out, I have mentioned this before. Trust me this is what makes the difference between well cooked and rubbery prawns. The more liquid in the prawns the longer you tend to cook it, resulting in prawns that are chewy and not so nice to eat.
Please omit the birds eye chilli if you can’t take the heat, we love the kick the chilli adds to this Creamy Chilli and Garlic Prawn Pasta. I hope you enjoy making it, the bonus is that it’s so quick and easy too.
Creamy Chilli and Garlic Prawn Pasta
- 700 gram prawns raw peeled
- 2 tspn chilli flakes
- 2 tspn garlic minced
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1-2 birds eye chilli you can omit or add more
- 1 tbsp cake wheat flour
- 1&1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup/250ml fresh cream
- 140 gram dried pasta ribbons
- 1/2 tbsp flat parsley chopped
- Remove shell of the prawns, rub in coarse salt and rinse a few times. Squeeze excess water and marinate the prawns with chilli flakes, birds eye chilli, garlic, zest and juice of 1 lemon and salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (optional)
- Boil pasta in salted water as per instructions on the packet. Cook until al la dente, drain the water and return to the pot to keep warm
- Heat butter in a pan and flash fry the prawns in 2 batches, 30 seconds on each side.
- Add the prawns back to the pan and add the flour and saute for a minute.
- Add cream and stir until sauce is thick, about another minute
- Divide pasta into pasta bowls and add the prawn sauce on top. Garnish with parsley