I have tried to get these Egg-Free Crumbed Mushrooms right, a few times before. However, it never quite turned out the way I wanted it to. This time however, it turned out perfect. I absolutely love these mushrooms and could eat them everyday, if only they weren’t deep fried. I am sure they could work in the Air-Fryer so next time will try that.
There was a recipe that I stumbled upon. That recipe used a batter but somehow it didn’t quite appeal to me. The batter didn’t have any herbs or spices, it was just a plain batter. I don’t think a batter will give mushrooms that crunch I was looking for. So I decided to pimp up my batter and dip them in Panko breadcrumbs. Panko breadcrumbs is a Japanese breadcrumb found in most major supermarkets. It is made from white bread without the crusts. It is a lighter, airier breadcrumb that doesn’t absorb a whole lot of grease and it stays crispy for longer. It gives the mushrooms a perfect crunch too.
These Egg-Free mushrooms are absolutely to die for. I promise it is addictive. I could not stop eating them. They are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with a hint of lemon. Although I don’t do deep fried often this recipe is a keeper. I will definitely make it again and again, that’s how much I love them. I made a little dip too and that just took those mushrooms to another level. You have got to try them.
The batter for these mushrooms should be a runny consistency. You then dip the mushroom into the batter and allow the excess batter to drip off. Roll them into the Panko crumbs and deep fry them. I suggest you start by using half the quantity of breadcrumbs because you don’t want all the crumbs becoming soggy. You won’t even miss the eggs. I am never using eggs to make these mushrooms again. I am a little old-fashioned so I don’t use any fancy gadgets to the test the oil. I merely drop a crumb in and if bubbles forms around it and the crumb rises I know my oil is hot enough. These mushrooms need to be fried until golden brown.
More Mushroom Recipes to try:
Egg-Free Crumbed Mushrooms
- 250 gram button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cake wheat flour
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn dried thyme
- 1/2 tspn paprika
- 1 tspn garlic and herb seasoning I used Ina Parmaan
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 150 ml ice cold water
- Oil for frying Light Olive Oil or Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic grated
- pinch of chilli flakes
- Use a damp paper towel or a soft brush to remove any dirt from the mushrooms. Set aside
- Add the Panko Breadcrumbs to one bowl. In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder, parmesan, salt, thyme, paprika, garlic and herb seasoning and lemon juice. Add the water a little at a time until you form a batter, should be a runny consistency
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat
- Dip the mushroom in the batter, let the excess batter drip off the mushroom. Roll the mushroom in the panko breadcrumbs
- Fry in hot oil on medium heat until mushrooms are golden brown and crisp
- Mix all the ingredients for the dip in a small bowl and refrigerate until serving time
- I test the oil by dropping a crumb in the oil. If it creates bubbles around the crumb and the crumb rises, it's how I know my oil is ready
- You can give the mushroom a light rinse if you wish but do not soak the mushrooms in water, it soaks water like a sponge