These Crispy Broccoli Fritters, Gluten free and delicious. Yesterday we had a feast of veggies as it was our wedding anniversary so tonight we stuck to something light. Our celebrations will continue on the weekend. I thought I would share my story of how my hubby and I were brought together by fate, you can read it if you wish.
I had this broccoli in my fridge and I promise I really didn’t have a clue what to make with them. Sometimes my creative juices doesn’t flow that easily. I am pretty bad at being creative with veggies. It is not the easiest things to cook.
The flavors have to be perfect or veggies can be a disaster. Thankfully these Crispy Broccoli Fritters turned out pretty amazing.
Ingredients Required for the Fritters
I used Chickpea Flour for these Fritters but if you don’t have any feel free to use normal cake flour. Chickpea Flour is great for those that have gluten intolerance.
The ingredients needed for these fritters is broccoli, chilli flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, cornflour, cheese and some oil to fry them. It is shallow fried so you just need a few tablespoons of oil.
If you prefer you can add some chopped onion and fresh garlic to these fritters and leave out the onion powder and garlic powder. You can also add some parmesan cheese.
The Broccoli can be cooked on the stovetop or in the microwave. I prefer the microwave because I love quick and easy. It takes just a few minutes to cook. The Broccoli needs to be really tender as it needs to be mashed up before adding it to the batter.
I also made some burger patties with this recipe and my hubby absolutely loved them.
If you’re eating these fritters as a snack the yogurt dip goes amazingly well with them. I have posted a recipe for that below. You can adjust the amount of lemon juice according to your preference.
If you do try my Crispy Broccoli Fritters, Gluten Free recipe please drop me a comment and a star rating. It is always appreciated.
More Healthy Recipes to try:
Crispy Broccoli Fritters
- 300 gram brocolli cooked
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1&1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 3 tbsp oil for frying
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- Bring some water to the boil and add the broccoli and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. You can use your discretion in terms of the time. Alternatively you could cook the broccoli in the microwave for 7 minutes
- Drain the water and use a fork and mash the broccoli. Set aside
- In a large bowl mix the chickpea flour, cornflour, chilli flakes, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and water. You will have a thick batter
- Add the broccoli and cheese to the batter and mix well
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pan. Take a tablespoon of mixture and shape into balls, flatten on your palms and fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides
- Serve with yogurt dip
- Mix some lemon juice into the yogurt, adjust according to your taste. Season with salt and serve
- If you don't have chickpea flour you can use normal cake wheat flour
- You can add some onion instead of the onion powder and you can add some fresh chilli to give it some heat
- Increase the amount of cheese or add some parmesan if you love cheese as much as I do
- The oil should be enough to fry all of the fritters but you can add a tablespoon or two more if you are frying small batches at a time
- You can also turn these into burger patties, they make super delicious burgers
- For the kids you can totally leave out the chilli and make them into broccoli tots