Creamy Mashed Cauliflower is a great low carb alternative to mashed potatoes. I am a huge potato fan and I still love my mashed potatoes. However, when we are trying to be healthy this is a great alternative. You won’t even know the difference.
I always see recipes using sour cream and although I’ve made my cauliflower mash like regular mash before. I needed to see what the hype was about the sour cream. Wow, it makes a huge difference to the dish. It adds a tangy flavor to the cauliflower making it all the more irresistible.
To enhance the flavor of the cauliflower I steamed it for a short while until half-cooked. I then drizzled a little olive oil over and baked it further in the oven together with the garlic. This gave the Creamy Mashed Cauliflower a little nuttiness. I added a little butter, Parmesan and some fresh thyme. Only because I love thyme that much and I could use it in absolutely any dish, given the chance.
The cauliflower turned out really creamy and smooth in the food processor. I prefer a creamy mash but if you can keep it more chunky if you prefer. You don’t want too much liquid in the cauliflower, so after I steamed it I placed it in a colander to drain the excess water, before popping it into the oven.
Cauliflower Mash can be served with:
Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- 600 gram cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp parmesan
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- Boil cauliflower in some salted water until half-cooked. About 10-15 minutes
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Drain cauliflower in a colander. Toss the cauliflower in the olive oil, chilli flakes, garlic and 2 tablespoon Parmesan
- Place on a baking tray and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until tender and slightly brown on the edges
- Blend the roasted cauliflower, in a food processor, together with the garlic and 1 tablespoon Parmesan until creamy and smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the sour cream and butter. Season with more salt if required and some pepper. Mix in the fresh thyme leaves
- You can steam the cauliflower in a steamer or the microwave if you prefer
- The amount of butter and Parmesan can be adjusted according to your taste