I hope you all had a great weekend. This amazing Creamy Butternut and Sweetcorn Bake recipe is from my sister in Australia, it is so delicious so I have to share it with you. She made this often when she lived in SA and everyone fell in love with it. Creamy Butternut and Sweetcorn Bake makes a perfect side dish, especially when braaiing. It just goes so well with braaied meat. It is not the healthiest dish to make as it’s loaded with cheese and cream but everything in moderation.
We don’t have this dish very often, probably once or twice a year but it is so worth making it. Although I’m not crazy about Cream Style Sweetcorn it works amazingly well in this dish. It was so delicious that my family cleaned out the dish, there were no leftovers. Trust me even the picky eaters will eat this. It’s amazing how cream and cheese makes everything taste heavenly, why does everything that taste good have to be bad for you. Life is so unfair. I sound like my kids, telling me life is not fair when they can’t have their way.
Butternut can sometimes get a little boring so this takes your butternut to a whole new level. We often have butternut that’s steamed or grilled so let’s call this our butternut treat. If you are vegetarian you can have this Creamy Butternut and Sweetcorn Bake with a refreshing green salad and maybe some crusty bread….mmmm sounds mouthwatering.
In my instructions I did say “smash your butternut” and not “mash” because you really don’t want a pureed bake. The butternut should have some texture so it’s not a mushy bake. When steaming your butternut and it is slightly undercooked that’s okay, it will cook further in the oven so don’t stress too much about that. I hope you love this dish as much as we do!
Creamy Butternut and Sweetcorn Bake
- 500 gram butternut
- 420 gram cream style sweetcorn
- 1/2 cup/125ml fresh cream
- 1 tspn chilli flakes
- 100 gram cheddar cheese
- Steam the butternut until tender
- Preheat oven to 180 deg celcius. Smash the butternut once cooked and place in a oven proof dish.
- Pour the cream style sweetcorn over the butternut and roughly mix it together, don't over mix. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the chilli flakes
- Pour the fresh cream over. Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle a little paprika over the cheese and bake for about 45 minutes.