I don’t make soup very often as I am not crazy about soups. But this Easy Creamy Chicken Soup is one I love and a definite keeper. It was so comforting and delicious.
Easy Creamy Chicken Soup
The kids absolutely loved it too. It was flavour-filled with the fresh herbs, a hint of garlic and a hint of chilli.
I added chilli flakes instead of chilli powder because I didn’t want a red soup. You can add more chilli if you prefer.
Chicken is such a versatile protein to cook with. If I am every lost about what I need to cook for dinner, I always know I can make something with chicken.
I am also quite the pro at cooking my chicken to perfection these days. We’ve never had rubber chicken in a while, that’s a good thing isn’t it!
We visited my sister a couple of weeks ago and she got us this chicken chowder for lunch, from a local restaurant. It was delicious and it’s what inspired me to try and make my own version.
I did add my flour straight into the veggies but I don’t think it was enough to create any lumps. I know there are recipes where the sauce is cooked separately and added to the veggies.
That’s too much effort. I sometimes make croutons and add it to the soup before serving. It adds a nice crunch to the soup.
I will share the crouton recipe another time. It is pretty easy to make.
You can also add a little bit of cheddar cheese when serving. Everything tastes better with cheese.
This Easy Creamy Chicken Soup is full of flavor and nutritious too. I added some turmeric, the superfood to help boost your immune system this winter.
Making the Soup
I made this soup on the stovetop because not everybody has an Instant Pot. If you have an Instant pot you can have soup in a jiffy.
The great thing is this soup is made in one pot. If you really don’t want to cook your own chicken you can add rotisserie chicken to this soup.
I added carrots but feel free to add other veggies if you wish. You can also add some wild rice or noodles to bulk up the soup.
When cooking the chicken breasts please do not over cook them, about a minute on each side is fine. If it’s not fully cooked don’t stress as it will cook further in the soup.
If you are not a chilli lover you can totally leave out the chilli. The soup still tastes great without it.
You can try some of my other Chicken recipes:
Easy Creamy Chicken Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 500 gram/6 small chicken breasts
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme use leaves only
- 3 large carrots cut into rounds
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 large garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 small potatoes cut into little cubes
- 2 tbsp cake wheat flour/all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk or half cream and half milk
- croutons for serving optional
- grated cheddar cheese for serving optional
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Slit each chicken breast in half so you will have thinner pieces.Marinate the chicken with the paprika, parsley, pepper and a little salt. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan and fry the chicken. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and set aside
- Add the butter to the same saucepan. Gently fry the celery and carrot with the thyme leaves until they are soft and tender. Add the onion and fry until translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a minute. Add the turmeric and chilli flakes
- Stir in the flour in and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and the milk and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Add the potatoes. Reduce the heat and simmer on a low heat for about 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender
- Add the chicken and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Garnish with parsley
- Serve with croutons and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Alternatively with some crusty bread
- You can use half cream and half milk if you want a richer soup
- To bulk up the soup you can add some wild rice or some noodles