I must admit I love Winter only because I can enjoy all the comforting food, it’s time to get fat again I guess! My little boy is exactly like me, loves anything that’s made with rice. He simply loved this Spanish Rice and Chicken.
Don’t we all love one-pot dishes, this is an amazing dish that doesn’t need fussing over. The only effort it really needs is browning the chicken and then it’s left to simmer and after 45 minutes you have a flavour-filled, delicious pot of Spanish Rice and Chicken. We haven’t experienced any freezing days in JHB as yet. There’s a chill in the air and we definitely need a light jersey at times but enough to make us want to stay in bed all day.
The cooler season definitely entices me to spend more time in the kitchen, it’s when I bake and cook the most. There’s something comforting about cooking in my kitchen on cold days and I absolutely love it.
This Spanish Rice and Chicken is definitely a great comfort food for cold days. It is filled with loads of flavour and it sort of reminds me of my favourite Indian dish, Chicken Biryani. I also use my favourite spice, cumin in this dish which makes it extra special. I cooked my Spanish Rice and Chicken on the stovetop but you can also pop into the oven.
I also used thigh on the bone, however if you prefer boneless chicken feel free to use it. Personally I love chicken on the bone for some dishes, it just adds that extra flavour to a dish. With my fussy family it’s mainly thighs and drumsticks which they can still tolerate without too much moaning. You can also add more chilli powder if you want it more spicy and some peas towards the end of cooking time to add a little more nutrition to your dish. I hope you love this dish as much as my 10 year old did. Its definitely become a hit in our home.
Spanish Rice and Chicken
Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tspn crushed garlic
- 2 large roma tomatoes blanched and chopped into small cubes
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tspn chilli powder you can add a little more if you wish
- 2&1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 1 lemon
- 6 Chicken Thighs on the bone
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tspn paprika
- 2 tspn ground cumin
- 2 tspn chilli powder
- 1 tspn crushed garlic
- Marinate the chicken thighs with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoon ground cumin, paprika, 2 teaspoon chilli powder, and 1 teaspoon crushed garlic for half an hour
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a flat pot and brown the chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes on each side. Cover with foil and set aside
- In the same pot add chopped onion and saute until it's transluscent. Add the crushed garlic and saute for a further minute
- Add 1 teaspoon chilli powder and a pinch of saffron. You can toast the saffron for a few seconds and crush it between your fingers.
- Add the tomatoes and allow it to cook for 5 minutes. Add the rice and the chicken broth and mix well. Place the chicken on top and cover and allow it to simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the rice before serving