I am so in love with this cake, it is the Best Ever Lemon Loaf Recipe I have ever baked. Yes, I know it’s sounds odd, bragging about my own recipe. But I have baked a Lemon Loaf before and it wasn’t even close to this recipe.
Aren’t we all looking for that moist, light cake….well this is one of those. I have been trying to be good but “oh my goodness” I could not resist this cake, one because I love lemons so much and two because it was that delicious. I gobbled up 2 slices, tomorrow I will diet again…haha!
You don’t have to believe everything I say but do try the recipe and see for yourself. And if it turns out as great as I say then you can thank me. I love the tangy taste of lemons in a cake, this one has just the right amount. The sour cream makes this cake light and moist.
The lovely texture for this cake also comes from beating the eggs and sugar for 4 minutes. Do not skip this step. Trust me it works. You add the eggs and sugar to a bowl and beat until it doubles in volume. I also use melted butter which I only add right at the end of the process.
I drizzled a lemon glaze on top of the cake but you don’t have to add more lemon if you don’t want to. You can add milk instead of lemon juice to the glaze if you prefer. If it’s lemon cake I really want to taste the lemon so it’s why I went all the way with lemons. I don’t regret it though, this is the Best Ever Lemon Loaf Recipe and a keeper for me.
When grating the lemon rind be careful not to get the white bits of the lemon. That does create a bitter taste. Please also grease your loaf pan well. I grease my pan with a thick layer of room temperature butter, I almost lather the pan with butter. But do add a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan, this is something I didn’t do so mine did stick a little. But thankfully I managed to get it out once it was completely cool.
More Cake Recipes to try:
Best Ever Lemon Loaf Recipe
- 125 gram/1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1&1/2 cup cake wheat flour
- 2 tspn baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a loaf pan with butter and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar together, using an electric hand mixer, for 4 minutes until it's light in color and doubles in volume
- Mix in the lemon zest and juice
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix with the electric hand mixer, just until combined
- Mix in the sour cream and then the melted butter until well combined. Do not over mix
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, tap it on a flat surface a couple of times, to release any air bubbles. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If cake is browning too soon before the cake is fully baked, cover with a piece of aluminium foil
- Allow cake to cool completely before turning it onto a cooling rack
- Mix the icing sugar and glaze together using a whisk
- Drizzle over the cool cake