I swear my kids were Italian in their past lives, they could eat pasta everyday. When I make this Chicken Lasagna with White Sauce they are in heaven.
Chicken Lasagna with White Sauce
Both my boys are at home, one’s working online and the other is doing online schooling. Whilst I love them being home I am finding it impossible to make anything for my blog.
It’s almost like they have a sixth sense when the food’s ready. As I get my camera out to shoot my photos they come rushing into the kitchen asking if they can eat.
This happens no matter what time the food’s ready. I think if dinner is ready at 10 in the morning they will probably still ask to eat…Lol!
When they’re not home I at least have a few hours in the day to cook, capture my photos and post before they gobble up the food. I think I will have to start at 4am everyday if I am going to do a successful post.
Although I wasn’t successful at capturing the best photos for this dish I think they’re still good enough to post. As least it looks edible.
I had to scrap some of the photos that didn’t turn out great because there was no chance of shooting new ones. Great photos or not this lasagna is so delicious.
Trust me it will become a favourite in your home, if you have a pasta loving family. It does take a little effort but it’s worth it.
Ingredients required for the lasagna
For this Chicken Lasagna with White Sauce you will need Chicken Breasts, Chicken Stock/Broth, Fresh Thyme, Garlic, Butter, Cake Wheat or All Purpose Flour, Milk, Salt, Pepper, Cheese, Lasagna sheets
How to make the Lasagna
I poach my chicken breasts like I usually do when I use shredded chicken. The best way to get the most tender breasts is to bring it to a boil in the chicken stock and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
You will then need to make a regular white sauce. Only for this recipe you will use the leftover chicken stock and some milk.
For me whether the instructions for the lasagna sheets say it has to be pre-cooked on not I still pre-cook mine. I pop them in some salted boiling water and boil for 6 minutes.
This way I am guaranteed to have perfectly cooked lasagna once popped into the oven. It also cuts down the cooking time.
Although this lasagna doesn’t use a lot of spice and herbs it does need a considerable amount of cheese. I am not complaining because who doesn’t love cheese.
It is not something you eat everyday so if it’s on the odd occasion it’s all good. This recipe does make quite a large lasagne. I think you could feed up to 8 people.
More pasta recipes to try:
Chicken Lasagna with White Sauce
- 1 kg chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 6 tbsp cake wheat or all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 19 lasagna sheets
- 1&1/2 cup mozarella cheese
- Place 2 cups chicken broth in a large pan. Add the chicken breasts and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting once it starts to boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and use two forks to shred the chicken. Discard the thyme stems but keep the leaves. Set aside. Do not discard the broth as it will be used for the white sauce
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute in the butter for 1 minute. Add the flour and stir for a minute
- Slowly add the remaining poaching liquid, you should have 2 cups. Slowly add 3 cups of milk and stir with a whisk. Allow it to thicken on medium to low heat, stirring at regular intervals, should take about 3-4 minutes
- Turn off the heat and add in the cheese. Mix until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove 2 & 1/2 cups of sauce, set aside. Mix the shredded chicken together with the remaining sauce, add the black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Add the lasagna sheets in some salted, boiling water and cook for 6 minutes. Remove immediately and place them on baking paper in a single layer or you can boil the sheets in 3 batches and layer the lasagna as they cook
- Using a 24cmx30cm ovenproof dish or something similar in size spread 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the dish
- Place 4 lasagna sheets in a single layer. Spread one third of the saucy chicken on top. Repeat with another layer of lasagna, you may need an extra sheet, cut in half to cover the sides depending on the size of your dish. Top with another 1/3 of the chicken. Repeat with another layer of lasagna and chicken and the final layer will be lasagna sheets. Pour the remaining 2 cups of sauce on top. You should have 4 layers of lasagna and 3 layers of chicken. Sprinkle the mozarella cheese over and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- You may require only 16 lasagna sheets depending on the size of your dish. The extra 3 is what I used to cover the sides as the sheets wasn't large enough to cover the whole surface
- If you choose not to cook the lasagna sheets I suggest you cover the lasagna with foil before baking it for at least 20 minutes and remove for the last 10 minutes so the cheese can brown a little
- If you prefer more mozarella cheese you welcome to increase the amount for the topping
- If the sauce is too thick you can add a bit more milk