We are so in love with the Spinach curries we buy from our local restaurant. We often buy the Spinach and Paneer because that’s my kids favourite but my hubby and I prefer the Spinach and Potato Curry.
Spinach and Potato Curry
Today I am making vegetable noodles for the kids and I thought I will make the Spinach and Potato Curry for my hubby and I.
It goes down really well with some fresh naan bread. He would prefer I make the naan bread just before he eats but somedays he’s not that lucky.
My days are crazy enough so some days I have to cook everything earlier than he would prefer.
The Spinach and Paneer we have been buying recently is a bit more of a dry version. It didn’t have as much spinach as the curries we bought previously.
I actually loved this one better so therefore I tried to make my Spinach and Potato Curry a similar way.
Unfortunately the potatoes I used were quite soft cooking so it didn’t turn out as dry but I still loved it. I added a little bit of cream to the dish which made the curry creamy and delicious.
Spinach is nutrient packed and healthy so I try and cook it as often as I can. I’ve always been low on iron so the spinach does help in keeping my iron levels in check amongst other benefits.
I have some spinach growing in my garden too but I have used most of it in my cooking, nothing better than fresh spinach plucked straight out of your own backyard.
I’m not great at gardening but before I moved my neighbour/friend planted lots of herbs and spinach in huge pots for me. I still have those pots and the herbs are flourishing.
So hopefully I will have more fresh spinach soon for my Spinach and Paneer curry which I’m dying to try next.
It’s best to cook this curry and serve it immediately with fresh naan bread, well if you have a fussy hubby like mine at least.
More vegeterian recipes to try:
Spinach and Potato Curry
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves smashed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 tspn grated ginger
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp butter ghee
- 1/4 tspn turmeric
- 1/2 tspn chilli powder
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 1-2 green chillies slit in half
- 200 gram/4 cups chopped baby spinach
- 3 medium potatoes cut into cubes
- 5 tbsp fresh cream
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the butter ghee on the stovetop
- Add cumin. Once it starts bursting add the onion and sauté until translucent
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute
- Add the potatoes and fry for a minute
- Add turmeric, chilli powder and salt and sauté the potatoes for about 5 minutes on low heat
- Add half cup water, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender. You may need more or less water
- Once potatoes are tender add the cream, spinach, chillies and garam masala
- Cook with the lid open just until spinach wilts and remove from heat