Doesn’t it feel great when you have a little pampering done, today was my day. I decided to colour my hair, do my nails, have some waxing done I feel like a million dollars. It’s amazing what a little bit of TLC can do for your spirits. Sometimes as moms we get so caught up with our families needs, that we forget to spoil ourselves a little. Normally I would first try to sort my dinner menu so my family don’t go starving but today I put myself first and that felt wonderful.
Try it sometime ladies, if you having a bad day trying soaking in a bath with your favourite scented candles, your favourite book, have a pedi done or get your hair done. Put on your favourite lipstick and your favourite pair of shoes, I promise it’s all you need to lift your spirits.
Well seeing I used most of my morning pampering myself I had to try to make a very quick dinner, something that we can heat and eat. What better than palak paneer with yeast free naan bread, who said you couldn’t have a restaurant quality dish in an hour? I will post my recipe for yeast free naan bread very soon. This dish is healthy, it’s delicious and it’s super easy to prepare. A few of the health benefits is that it improves blood glucose levels, boosts bone health and it’s rich in potassium and iron. So here’s just a few reasons why you should eat more spinach.
I think my first choice is roti or naan bread with any Indian curry, but I suppose rice works well too. Naan bread is easily accessible in most major grocery stores too so if you really crave some just pop into your local supermarket, you will be sure to find some.
I did not add cream to my dish although often I do so feel free to use it or totally omit it if you wish. As usual please use more or less chilli, according to your preference, as you all know I always prefer more. I did not fry my paneer like I usually do as I was trying to make a dish with minimal effort so if you have time you can brown your paneer in a little butter and then add it to your spinach. You can use store-bought paneer or if you can use my recipe for Spicy Paneer and omit the spices.
- 200 gram spinach
- 1 onion chopped
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1&half tspn ginger/garlic paste
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt or any plain yogurt will work
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1/2 tspn turmeric
- 1/2 tspn Kashmiri chilli powder
- 150 gram paneer
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- Blend the onion, chilli and ginger/garlic into a smooth paste and set aside
- Rinse spinach well and pour a kettle of boiling water over it until it wilts. Rinse immediately under cold water and use a stick blender and blend it until smooth
- Heat oil, add the cumin seeds and fry until it bursts. Add the onion mixture and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the chiil powder, ground cumin and turmeric. Fry for a minute. Add the yogurt and mix well
- Add the blended spinach, season with salt and cook until it heats through. Add the garam masala and paneer. If you using cream you can add it now. Serve hot with naan bread, roti or rice