I made this delicious Smooth, Creamy Burfee for Diwali but I didn’t post the recipe as I felt it needed to be tweaked a little. After testing it a few times I think it is now perfect. I had a request from my sister so it was time I finished working on that recipe. This recipe was just what I needed. Burfee is definitely not something that goes to waste in our home.
This Smooth, Creamy Burfee is made in one-pot, Don’t I just love anything made it one-pot. I should be called the queen of “one-pots”…haha! I think I should actually consider turning my blog into having just one-pot dishes. Sound like a plan, doesn’t it!
With this recipe there is absolutely no fussing over it. I have tried many Burfee recipes and what gets to me about most recipes is the tedious processes involved in getting a perfect Burfee. It’s why I love creating my own recipes, I can do what works for me without any added effort. And you don’t have to go through that process of turning your powdered milk into breadcrumbs and putting it through a food processor. Which I have always done in the past, what a nightmare. For this recipe it just needs to be sifted once and it’s good to go.
The mixture will seem very soft, with a fudge like texture. But after popping it into the fridge for a couple of hours it sets perfectly. If you are making them into pretty shapes you have to refrigerate the mixture before forming them. It will be impossible to work with a soft, sticky mixture. When I first started making sweetmeats I was really intimidated by all these fancy cutters and I never wanted to even try using them. Now I feel like a pro, as they say practice makes perfect. But you can make them however you wish and whatever you feel comfortable with. Most people allow it to set in a pan and cut them into squares, if it’s neatly cut and decorated well it can still look pretty.
I add rose essence to my burfee but please be careful when adding this. Some brands can be quite strong so just add a couple of drops and go from there. If you add too much it gives the burfee too much of an artificial taste which makes it really unpleasant.
Here’s more sweet treats for you to try:
Smooth, Creamy Burfee
- 500 gram powdered milk, Klim
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 290 gram nestle dessert and cooking cream
- 1&1/4 icing sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp ground almond
- 1 tspn cardamom
- 1/4 tspn rose essence
- Add fresh cream, Nestle cream, butter and icing sugar to a large saucepan and heat on low to medium heat. Use a whisk and mix well. Once mixture starts bubbling remove from heat
- Sift the powdered milk and add to the cream mixture. Use a whisk and mix well. Ensure that there are no lumps
- Mix in the cardamom, rose essence and ground almond
- You can pat the mixture into a square dish lined with cling wrap and refrigerate and cut into squares after 2 hours or transfer the mixture into a bowl, refrigerate for 2 hours and then mould into desired shapes