If I mention the word pasta my kids are in heaven so I when I said Chili Mac and Cheese, it was music to their ears. And mine, because it’s all made in-pot, not because I eat lamb. We don’t eat beef so I susbtituted my mince with Lamb mince but feel free to use whatever mince meat you prefer. This One-Pot Chili Mac and Cheese is so comforting and absolutely tasty.
Who doesn’t love the thought of two delicious dishes coming together. We did stock up on a few extra canned stuff before lock down happened so I had everything I needed to make this One-Pot Chili Mac and Cheese. It is freezing cold in Johannesburg so I think my kids really appreciated having a bowl of comfort food.
This dish does require chilli powder but obviously not the kind of chilli powder we use here in SA. I think the chilli powder used in America is probably more toned down with the addition of other spices. We don’t mind a little heat so I have used our normal chilli powder. It doesn’t add too much heat but if you wish you can reduce the amount of chilli powder or add more if you love the heat.
This dish literally took about 30 minutes to cook, so quick and easy with absolutely no effort. Exactly how I like it. The flavors are absolutely amazing and trust me you will want to make this dish again and again. I don’t even have much instructions to give you because it really is that easy but still delicious.
My 11-year-old was not chuffed about the addition of the black beans because he thinks any bean is poision…haha! In saying that he actually enjoys this dish. Mind you I wasn’t exactly a bean fan when I was little so I know how he feels.
I definitely added loads of cheese to this One-Pot Chili Mac and Cheese but you can add a little less. Considering it was just for the kids I thought a little extra cheese can’t hurt. But with the use of lamb mince you actually don’t need too much cheese.
Well if you haven’t found a dinner recipe for tonight why not go ahead and make yourself some of this One-Pot Chili Mac and Cheese. If you do try it please drop me a comment.
More Recipes you may like:
One-Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- 500 gram lamb mince
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1&1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1&1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth or mutton stock
- 1x400 gram diced tomatoes
- 1x400 gram black beans
- 1&1/4 cup elbow pasta uncooked
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- Place the lamb mince in a large pan and allow it to brown on high heat. Reduce to medium heat
- Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute
- Add the paprika, cumin, chilli powder, oregano and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and broth together with the pasta. Rinse the beans and mix it in. Season with more salt if required. Bring to a boil and allow it to simmer until the pasta is al dente, about 20 minutes
- Mix in half the cheese. Sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top. Cover and allow cheese to melt. Sprinkle the chopped coriander on top and serve hot
- It may seem like too much liquid but it does thicken. The pasta absorbs a lot of the liquid so I therefore added a little extra so it stays saucy even after a few hours
- You can use chicken mince if you prefer
- I used a mutton stock dissolved in hot water. You can use a vegetable broth or chicken broth if you prefer
- You can adjust the amount of chilli powder
- Although I used elbow pasta you can use any pasta you prefer