I must say it’s been an eventful few days. Lockdown has really got my family nagging me to death, for a pet, of course. Since I was a little girl I’ve had a phobia for dogs, or should I say anything furry.
If a dog as much as sniffs me I literally get a panic attack. But I was so frustrated with my family, after their continuous nagging, I said to my hubby “Do whatever you wish” and the next thing we have a pet puppy.
It is super cute and I am afraid of dogs but I will never do anything to harm them. Just seeing this little thing breaks my heart. I can’t help but feel sad for him because I can’t imagine a baby without a mom. But what I do know is that my boys are so good that they will take the best care of him.
My 11-year-old is totally smitten. Watch this space…I will definitely tell you if I have gotten over my phobia. But after 40 odd years I doubt that’s gonna happen.
Let me get to my Lemon Blueberry Muffins. These little muffins are absolutely divine. I cannot get enough of anything lemon and with that touch of blueberry, it makes it all the more heavenly.
I do love blueberries but please do not overcrowd my cakes with it. There should be just enough blueberries so I can still get enough of the lemon flavour too.
My family are not much into baked stuff, unless it’s cookies or doughnuts. These Lemon Blueberry Muffins, however, went down a treat. They are light and moist and has the perfect amount of lemon flavor.
I think frozen berries are the way to go for these muffins. I think fresh berries can become all mushy and a little messy if not handled with care.
It’s not berry season here in SA but I have frozen berries in my freezer. It worked perfectly for my muffins. I also love the use of sour cream, it creates that extra moisture.
I know you are going to love these Lemon Blueberry Muffins as much as we do. Please drop me a comment if you do try them.
More Breakfast Ideas:
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 1/4 cup/62.5g butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1&1/4 cup cake wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1&1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1 cup icing sugar
- lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners
- Using an electric mixer beat eggs and sugar for 5 minutes until light in colour
- Mix in lemon zest and lemon juice
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, whilst you drizzle in the butter. Give it a quick mix using the electric mixer
- Mix in the sour cream just until combined
- Gently fold in the blueberries. Fill each cupcake liner about halfway
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Cool on a cooling rack
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over once completely cool
- Mix in some lemon juice with the sifted icing sugar until you reach the desired consistency. If you prefer a thick glaze add less lemon juice or add more for a thinner glaze
- You can use fresh blueberries instead of frozen
- Do not over mix the batter once the berries are in as your batter will turn purple
- If you don't have sour cream you can use half a cup of milk instead
- You don't have to use the lemon glaze but it is highly recommended