I guess my family can only do so much roast veggies and salads. Today it’s an Indian Fusion Chicken Pasta Recipe, my kids favourite comfort food. Don’t think the Italians will be impressed with me…Lol!
My older son is at college and when he comes home on weekends all he wants is this Chicken Pasta, you would swear it’s the only thing I could cook.
This Indian Fusion Chicken Pasta Recipe is so simple, you can have a meal on your table in less than 30 minutes. It’s comforting, spicy and oh so yummy!
I love spicing up my chicken before I add them to pasta. It makes it all the more delicious. I’ve tried making it with cajun spice, garlic and chilli, hot chilli sauce and many more spicy variations.
Everyone needs a bit of spice in their lives every once in a while. What better combination than some spice and pasta together.
If you are daring enough you can even add a bit of extra chilli when marinating your chicken with the spices for this recipe.
This pasta is a combination of indian spices with a bechamel sauce…just a fancy name for white sauce. A good sprinkling of parmesan cheese and it’s heaven in a bowl.
Making a white/bechamel sauce can be intimidating at first, I was scared to make one when I was younger too. Mainly because I thought I would have a lumpy sauce.
Yes I did have lumpy sauce in my early days of cooking. However, I quickly figured the secret to getting a smooth sauce.
My trusted old whisk, it works like magic. Use a whisk to stir your sauce and you will never have lumpy sauce again.
As we all know Chicken Breasts are also tricky to cook, it can overcook very easily and the it becomes all chewy. Nobody wants that as it just ruins a good dish.
You have to flash fry your chicken breasts very quickly and remove from the heat. If it’s not fully cooked don’t stress, it will cook further in the sauce.
My kids love a saucy dish so I add a little less pasta to this Indian Fusion Chicken Pasta Recipe just so they can enjoy that sauciness. You can add more pasta if you wish.
When boiling your pasta you need to pop your pasta into a pot of boiling water, add some salt and it’s good to go. You can also reserve some of the pasta water to add to the sauce. That’s the liquid gold.
It adds that beautiful silky richness to your pasta dish. It can also be used to thin the sauce when serving. I also don’t add oil to my pasta as I find that the sauce adheres to the pasta better without the oil.
I simply love pasta dishes. Cooking with pasta is so versatile and it’s my absolute go to dish when I’m lost for dinner ideas.
My kids could literally live on pasta if they had their way. There’s something just so comforting about pasta so I guess it’s why they love it so much.
For this recipe I used Penne pasta but you can use whatever pasta you prefer. If you have the time you can go ahead and make your own pasta too.
I did attempt making pasta a couple of times but I stick to the convenient way. Store bought pasta.
If you give this dish a try please drop me a comment and a star rating, it is always appreciated.
More delicious recipes to try:
Indian Fusion Chicken Pasta
- 2 cups dried pasta cooked as per package instructions
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts cut into little cubes
- 2 tspn Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cake wheat or all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- Marinate the chicken breasts with the chilli powder, paprika,chilli flakes, cumin, , garlic, lemon juice, yogurt and some salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Boil pasta in a pot of boiling water with some salt, should be al la dente. Drain and set aside. You can reserve 1 cup of the pasta water to add to the sauce.
- For the white sauce, warm the milk and cream and set aside. I add them all to a jug and warm them in the microwave just until it's slightly heated. Melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk/cream mixture and keep whisking
- Allow the sauce to simmer on medium heat until it thickens. Whisk at regular intervals to prevent it from getting lumpy. Season with salt and pepper
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium to high heat and fry the chicken. Just until slightly brown, doesn't have to be fully cooked as it will cook further in the sauce.
- I usually wipe the pan I fried the chicken in and make the sauce in the same pan to prevent too many dirty dishes. Once the sauce is ready add the chicken and bring to a boil so the heat can cook the chicken further. Add the pasta and mix it all together. Add the parmesan cheese if using. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.
- You can increase the amount of milk to 3 cups and leave out the fresh cream
- If you want your pasta really spicy you can add some crushed green chilli when marinating the chicken
- If you wish you can top the pasta with cheese and pop it under the grill for a few minutes just until the cheese melts