My mum is visiting from Durban so I got her to do some of my cooking. Some things just taste better when our mums cook them, don’t they. She cooks a very simple Easy Green Bean Curry but it tastes delicious. Vegetable curries always seem to taste better when they have minimal spice. At least, it’s what I think.
I used my very own Homemade Masala to cook this curry. Since I have been making my own masala I am enjoying cooking even more, knowing that everything is made by me from scratch.
What is Green Beans?
Green Beans also known as French Beans or String Beans is a mild tasting vegetable filled with nutrients. Popular methods of cooking green beans include steaming, sauteing or boiling.
Vegetarian or Vegan
This Easy Green Bean Curry makes a great dish for vegetarians and vegans or works well as a side dish. I have posted a recipe previously for Green Bean cooked with coconut milk,that was also delicious.
Cutting the Green Beans
We cut our green beans a little differently when cooking a curry. It is cut diagonally into thin slices, I think this was just to speed up the cooking process and also make it more pleasant to eat.
I can’t imagine eating big chunks of green beans in a curry anyway so this way of cutting the beans suits me fine.
You can cut the green beans the way you are comfortable with and what works for you. I personally love my green beans with a little crunch so I don’t overcook it. My favorite way to serve this Easy Green Bean Curry is with some Dal and Rice.
If you do try this recipe please drop me a mail and let me know how it turns out. I always love hearing from you!
Easy Green Bean Curry
- 600 gram green beans sliced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tspn fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp masala
- 1/2 tspn turmeric
- 1 tomato blanched and grated
- Heat oil, add fenugreek seeds, onion and curry leaf
- Saute until onion is golden brown. Add garlic and fry for a minute
- Add the masala and turmeric. Fry for a minute. Be careful not to let it burn. Add a few drops water if necessary
- Add the green beans. Season with salt. Cover and simmer on low heat
- Halfway through cooking time add the tomato. Cook until green beans are tender
- I did not add any water throughout the cooking process. However, if you feel the green beans is drying out too quickly you can add a few drops of water
- The fenugreek seeds is not necessary but it does give the curry a nutty flavour