Cooked the South African way with the addition of Coconut Cream.
Green Bean Curry has always been a popular dish in our home, except that we never cooked it with any sort of cream or milk. This Green Bean Curry with Coconut Cream is a first for me but it was amazing. I have seen recipes for Green Bean curry with coconut milk, cooked the Sri Lankan way. I thought let me follow my usual recipe and just add coconut milk to it and see what it tastes like but only to discover I had no coconut milk. I settled for coconut cream instead.
Surprisingly this Green Bean Curry with Coconut Cream tasted divine, I was a bit sceptical about what it would taste like but I loved it. Will definitely be cooking this dish again. We do cut up our green bean a little differently when using it in a curry, it is sliced thinly and sort of diagonally, I think the reason for this was for quick cooking time. Not sure if there’s another reason but it’s how my mum did it and it works well.
You can serve this Green Bean Curry With Coconut Cream with some Basmati rice or roti. I personally prefer it with roti, almost all veggie curries taste delicious with roti. I haven’t yet posted a roti recipe but you can check out my tips, The art of roti-making, the South African way
Will definitely try and share a recipe soon. The South African way of making roti is definitely not the same as it’s made in India but it’s what we are used to, soft, buttery rotis.
Please do try this recipe. You are most welcome to mail me at any time if you need help with my recipes. I love sharing and I always love to help. It’s great when I hear from people that have tried something that I’ve posted, makes my blogging journey worth it.
Green Bean Curry with Coconut Milk
- 350 gram green beans sliced diagonally
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1 green chilli slit into halves
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tspn fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn masala
- 1 tspn kashmiri chilli powder
- 80 ml coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee 1 tspn solid ghee will do if using ghee
- Heat oil, add onion, fenugreek seeds, curry leaf and chilli
- When onion is translucent add garlic and fry for minute
- Add masala,, chilli powder and turmeric. Add a few drops of water and fry for a minute
- Add the sliced green beans and season with salt. Simmer on low heat until green beans is cooked
- Add the coconut cream and cook until it's heated through. Serve hot