This Spicy Prawn Curry is my hubby’s favourite dish! The more chilli the better, says he… never mind the kids! I have a cousin who lives in Perth, Australia and many years ago she gave me a little lesson on cooking prawn curry and I’ve never looked back. She is an amazing cook and I’ve learnt a few kitchen tips and tricks from her. Everytime I cook this dish I get loads of compliments and if it is my hubby’s favourite then that says a lot as he is one of my biggest critics, you would swear he was a gourmet chef in his past life.
Prawn curry is an easy curry to cook and actually doesn’t require as many spices as most other curries. This dish proves that simple can also be delicious. I have yet to taste a more delicious prawn curry.
This dish is cooked in one-pot and it’s the flavour from frying the prawns that adds to the yumminess of this curry. I have made it for guests a few times and they absolutely loved it. It goes really well with rice or roti and a definite crowd pleaser so next time you throwing a party and you want to wow your guests this is the dish to make. The trick to making a great Spicy Prawn Curry is not to overcook your prawns, you have to flash fry it, just a couple of minutes on each side or you will end up with prawns that feels like rubber. I also learnt from my cousin that you have to squeeze every drop of excess water from the prawns before cooking them, this also helps in keeping them soft and tender. It works for me. I also wash my prawns with some coarse salt before marinating them to get all the grimy bits off, a little extra care can do no harm.
Hope you enjoy this Spicy Prawn Curry as much as we do.
Spicy Prawn Curry
- 700 grams prawns shelled and deveined
- 3 tspn ground cumin
- 1/4 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn crushed garlic
- 1/4 tspn Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- juice and rind of half a lemon
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes skin removed and blended
- 3 green chillies slit in half
- 2 tspn Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tspn crushed garllic
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- coriander for garnishing (optional)
- Marinate prawns with all of the ingredients in STEP 1 and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Heat the oil and flash fry the prawns in little batches and set aside. Be careful not to let the oil burn as you are going to use it to make the sauce.
- Once all the prawns are fried add another tablespoon or 2 of oil to the remaining oil, if needed. Fry onion unti slightly brown.
- Add garlic and saute for a minute, add curry leaf and chillies. Add chilli powder and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes , season with salt. Add sugar if required. Cover and simmer until sauce thickens and tomatoes are fully cooked.
- Add prawns to the sauce, bring to the boil and turn off heat. Garnish with coriander.