I am having one of those weeks where I’m really not motivated to do much. Usually I am quite the busy body and very active throughout the day. I guess we all have those not so great moments in our lives. You feel a little deflated but you don’t quite understand why. Everything I experience, emotionally or physically I have my autoimmune conditions to blame. I have to pin it down to something, don’t I?? When I’m having a bad day or a bad week or a bad anything I just cook and bake. These Egg-Free Banana Coconut Muffins definitely made me feel better.
I was up early this morning testing out my new recipe for Egg-Free Banana Coconut Muffins. They lifted my spirits and turned out perfect too, especially for Egg-Free. All I can say is that they are yum! My mum-in-law taught me how to make an egg-free Fruit Cake when I was down in Durban for our recent holiday. I followed a similar recipe to make these muffins.
We abstain from meat a lot, for religious festivals and on Mondays and Tuesdays and that includes eggs. Therefore I love having some of my own egg-free recipes. I suppose the egg-free recipes are also good for people that are allergic to eggs. Here in SA I don’t see any egg-free muffins or cakes in our stores. These Egg-Free Banana Muffins are also really easy to make. I pop all the ingredients into a food processor and once it’s all mixed into the oven it goes. Mrs Fuss-free is at it again.
I know the recipe calls for Self-raising flour and baking powder. And no it’s not an error. It’s what my mum-in-law uses in her recipe and I followed through. It’s works amazingly well with a perfect rise so I didn’t want to take that chance and change it. You will note I didn’t add loads of sugar because I hate overly sweet stuff. For me this amount was perfect as I felt the Bananas also added that extra bit of sweetness. You can always add more should you wish. I also just sprinkled some pecans on top because my boys are not crazy about them. You can double the amount and add some to the batter if you wish.
Overall I am very pleased with this recipe. I have struggled to make egg-free stuff taste yummy but I think I am finally there.
You can try some of my other sweet treats:
Egg-Free Banana Coconut Muffins
- 70 grams butter/a little over quarter cup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 1&1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pecan nuts chopped into small pieces
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Cream butter and sugar in a food processor. Add vanilla essence and lemon juice.
- Smash bananas with a back of a fork. Add it to the food processor with the desiccated coconut and pulse until combined
- Add flour and baking powder together with milk and process until well combined
- Fill cupcake pan halfway, sprinkle pecan nuts on top and bake at 180 degrees celcius for 15 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean