I don’t make soup very often as I am not crazy about soups. But this Easy Chicken Soup is one I love and a definite keeper. It was so comforting, creamy and delicious. The kids absolutely loved it too. It was flavour-filled with the fresh herbs, a hint of garlic and peri-peri.
Chicken is such a versatile protein to cook with. If I am every lost about what I need to cook for dinner, I always know I can make something with chicken. I am also quite the pro at cooking my chicken to perfection these days. We’ve never had rubber chicken in a while, that’s a good thing isn’t it!
We visited my sister a couple of weeks ago and she got us this chicken chowder for lunch, from a local restaurant. It was delicious and it’s what inspired me to try and make my own version. I added a little bit of peri-peri just for a little bit of a kick, it didn’t ruin the flavours at all I promise. The best thing about this dish is that it’s all cooked in one-pot.
I did add my flour straight into the veggies but I don’t think it was enough to create any lumps. I know there are recipes where the sauce is cooked separately and added to the veggies. That’s too much effort. I made some croutons and it added it to the soup before serving. It added a nice crunch to the soup.
I will share the crouton recipe another time because I forgot about them in the oven and I burnt half of it. Luckily I managed to salvage enough for our soup.You can also add a little bit of cheddar cheese when serving. Everything tastes better with cheese.
You can try some of my other Chicken recipes:
Easy Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 500 gram/6 small chicken breasts cut into little cubes
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme use leaves only
- 2 carrots cut into little cubes
- 1 tspn garlic minced
- 2 small potatoes cut into little cubes
- 3 tbsp cake wheat flour/all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk full cream or low fat will do
- 1/2 tspn peri-peri spice optional
- croutons for serving optional
- cheddar cheese for serving optional
- Cut the chicken into little cubes. Season with salt and pepper and the peri-peri spice and refrigerate
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan. Gently fry the onion, garlic, celery and carrot with the thyme leaves until they are soft and tender
- Stir the flour in and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and the milk and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Add the potatoes. Reduce the heat and simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the chicken. Remove from heat
- Serve with croutons and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Alternatively with some crusty bread