I had the most delicious quiche a while ago, which was given to me by my dear neighbour. However, I requested the recipe from her and she eventually got the recipe from her sister but it wasn’t exactly the same quiche recipe I remembered eating. But on the plus side the pastry recipe looked amazing and I had to give it a try. I did not follow the exact recipe but it’s where I got my inspiration from. This is a Quick and Easy Quiche Pastry and my family absolutely loved it, it was light, flaky and delicious.
To make life a little easier I prefer to use a food processor to make my dough but you can use your hand, especially if you want to exercise those fingers. I add my flour to the food processor together with my butter, give it a quick pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. The next step is to add the cheese, another pulse and add some soda water or chilled water from the fridge. When I say Quick and Easy Quiche Pastry, I really mean that. It was such a pleasure making the pastry, even for a lazy cook like myself.
You can refrigerate the pastry for half an hour before rolling it out but I prefer to roll it out first, place it in my quiche/tart tin and then refrigerate for half an hour. It is then blind baked. Blind baking a pastry is one way to ensure the pastry is baked all the way through and you don’t end up with a soggy “bottom”. The pastry is also pricked with a fork before baking as this allows the steam to escape and the prevents the pastry from puffing up in the oven.
Pastry making can be rather intimidating and for a long time I preferred store-bought pastry, just to eliminate the stress of making a good pastry. I must say that over the years and with all the time I’ve been spending in the kitchen I’m really open to trying new things, intimidating or not. The only way to become a better cook is to experiment, sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. My family have learnt to accept my bad dishes and politely say “it’s ok” and pull a funny face as I look away…but I don’t get upset anymore, I’m past that, comes with age….hahaha!
This pastry is so good that I used it to make cheese straws with my 10 year old, just added a little extra cheese and they tasted amazing. Will post some pictures shortly.
Please do try my Quick and Easy Quiche Pastry and if you don’t mind drop me a note to let me know if it was as good as I think it is.
Quick and Easy Quiche Pastry
- 1 cup/250ml cake wheat flour
- 3/4 cup mature cheddar cheese grated
- 100 gram butter
- 2-3 tbsp soda water or ice water add a little more if required
- Place flour and butter in a food processor and pulse a couple of times until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the cheese and pulse again until it's all mixed together
- Add 2 tablespoons soda water or ice cold water and pulse until the mixture forms a dough. Add a tablespoon or two more water if required
- Place the mixture on a flat surface dusted with flour. Bring the dough together, do not overhandle the dough. Roll out and place in a 22cm tart tin, must overlap slightly as the dough shrinks
- Refrigerate the pastry for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes prick the dough with a fork and line it with some parchment paper. Place some pie weights or dry beans or rice on top and bake at 200 degrees celcius for 20 to 25 minutes
- You can fill you quiche pastry with any savoury filling and bake again