There was time I was terribly intimidated by the thought of making anything with yeast. I would never have attempted this Easy Pizza Dough Recipe.
Over the years I have learnt to make loads of stuff using yeast and I absolutely love it. I find bread making so therapeutic and I loved making this Easy Pizza Dough Recipe too.
Easy Pizza Dough Recipe
My family absolutely loves this recipe and when I mention Pizza for dinner they are in heaven. Who doesn’t love pizza? I must admit I am not a huge pizza fan but I do have one favorite.
If you’ve been following me for a while you will know, anything with potatoes and I am in. So no guessing what my favorite pizza is, yes Potato Pizza.
Carbs on Carbs, yes I am crazy and about the only one on earth that probably loves carbs that much.
My kids are the Magherita fans. I made this Easy Pizza Dough with loads of cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and dried oregano and they were in Pizza heaven.
I know everybody doesn’t have the time to cook everything from scratch and I do cheat at times but nothing beats homemade so I also used my homemade Quick and Easy Pizza Sauce.
Bread Flour/Cake Wheat Flour or All Purpose Flour, Yeast, Salt, Sugar, Olive Oil, Warm Water and Dried Italian Herbs.
Bread Flour is best as it is a high protein flour and gives the pizza a chewy crust. I love using the Eureka Mills bread flour.
I prefer instant dry yeast but you can use any yeast you prefer. If you are using active yeast you will need to proof it first.
Sugar helps brown the crust and helps with the rise
Salt gives your pizza dough flavor
Olive oil helps keeps the pizza tender and moist when baking it a not so hot home oven
Warm Water helps the dough rise faster
I addeds some dried Italian herbs to my dough for some added flavor. This is optional so you can totally leave it out.
How do I make Easy Pizza Dough
You add all the dry ingredients to a stand mixer or a large bowl. Mix in the liquids, bring the dough together. If you kneading by hand it takes about 7 minutes or about 5 minutes in the stand mixer.
The dough will pull away from the sides of the bowl and it will be a silky, smooth dough.
Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise for an hour. After an hour divide the dough into 4 balls. Let it rise again for another hour.
Baking the Pizza
I prefer stretching the dough with my hands. Pizza dough is definitely not meant to be rolled out. If you’ve ever been to an Italian restaurant you will see the chefs working that dough with their hands.
So gently stretch the dough and push it out. Don’t work the edges too much as you want a puffy crust.
Refrigerating the dough
You can refrigerate the dough for up to 5 days. The dough can be refrigerated in your bowl and it needs to be brought to room temperature before making your pizza.
More Yeast Recipes to try:
Easy Pizza Dough Recipe
- 3 cups/750ml white bread flour/cake wheat flour or all purpose flour You may need a little extra
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tspn salt
- 1&1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1&1/4 cup/310ml lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt, herbs, yeast to a stand mixer and mix well.
- Slowly add in the water and olive oil and mix until the dough comes together. Knead for 4-5 minutes. You can also knead by hand, for about 6-7 minutes.
- Grease a bowl with oil and rub some oil on the dough and place inside the bowl. Cover with cling wrap and allow it to rest for one hour, in a warm place
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Cover with cling wrap or a clean kitchen towel and allow it to rest for a further 1 hour.
- Stretch the dough (about 22cm in diameter) with your hands, gently pushing it out. Don't overwork the edges as you want a puffy edge
- Place the pizza dough on a pizza pan, one with holes in it. Spread a sauce of your choice and top with your desired filling. Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes