I had a wonderful day today. My friend and I went shopping all day, she knows every little nook and cranny in Johannesburg. I visited a new spice shop, an Italian deli and an art shop. I am so excited because I bought canvasses to finally paint again. I am not the most creative but painting is also another form of therapy so I am so looking forward to it. I took a few art classes but my art teacher was a horror so I didn’t enjoy it much. But I am excited to try again.
We did loads of shopping and wow this Italian Deli, IIformaggio, was absolutely amazing and it is right on my doorstep which I never even knew existed. They sell everything Italian, from pastas to biscuits, Italian ice-cream and cheese, OMG I was in heaven. It was definitely an Italian kind of day as I also made Italian Chicken Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with gooey cheese. It was totally yum!
These Chicken Meatballs in Tomato Sauce can be served with on a bed of pasta or some mashed potato or zucchini noodles. I guess it will work however you wish to serve them. They are light, juicy and delicious. I seared my meatballs in a little olive oil poured the tomato sauce over with some slices of cheese and popped it into the oven. How can anyone resist cheese!
I did not add any breadcrumbs to my meatballs so it’s also gluten free. Instead I rolled my meatballs into some chickpea flour just to hold it together and they turned out perfect. Some days I am so clever, I even surprise myself and other days I don’t know what happens…haha!
When cooking the meatballs also keep a close eye on them, you don’t want overcooked meatballs. If you overcook them they will be hard and dry.
Some of my other favourite dishes:
Chicken Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- 1x400 gram can of Italian chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tspn minced garlic
- 1 tspn dried italian herbs
- 1/2 tspn dried oregano
- sugar only if required
- 500 gram chicken mince
- 2 tspn minced garlic
- 1 tspn dried Italian herbs
- 1 tspn dried oregano
- 2 tspn fresh thyme leaves only
- 2 tspn chilli flakes
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 5 slices mozzarella cheese
- Add the olive oil, bay leaf and onion to a saucepan and cook the onion until translucent. Add the chilli and garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add the Italian herbs and oregano and let it fry for a few seconds
- Add the tomatoes. Season with salt. Add a little sugar if tomatoes are too acidic. Simmer on low heat until tomatoes are cooked and oil surfaces to the top, about 10 minutes
- Mix all the garlic, Italian herbs, oregano, thyme and chilli flakes together. Add the chicken mince, beaten egg and parmesan and give it a light mix. Season with salt
- Divide mixture into 12 portions and make them into balls
- Roll each ball into the chickpea flour and finish off into a neat ball
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Turn on the grill function in your oven
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil and fry the chicken meatballs, just until they are brown on both sides. Doesn't have to be fully cooked as it will cook further in the oven
- Place them in an ovenproof dish, pour the tomato sauce over and place some mozzarella slices on top. Pop it into the oven for a few minutes, about 5-8 minutes just until cheese is melted
- You can use the tomatoes as it is or you can blend them if you prefer a smooth sauce
- The cheese is optional. You can use fry the meatballs and use the tomato sauce as the dip
- If you do not have chickpea flour you can use a little cake wheat flour