I have been so bad with creating new recipes. I guess we all go through those times when we’re not totally motivated to do stuff that we’ve always felt so passionate about.
Vegetable Fried Rice
My lack of motivation probably comes from all the distractions I’m experiencing. I need order in my life and of late I haven’t been able to maintain that order.
I’ve been cooking the same ol’, same ol’, not that my family is complaining. They are creatures of habit and usually not impressed when I try t00 many “foreign” dishes.
This Fried rice has been a favourite, especially for my youngest. He could live on fried rice.
Today I am sharing a vegetarian version, usually I will add some chicken or eggs to it. When Hindus say they are “vegetarian” that means no eggs too.
It’s been an auspicious month for us so we’v been on a strict vegetarian diet. With kids it’s not the easiest diet to maintain but it slowly grows on them as the days go by and you stop hearing too many complaints.
A few days ago I tried to make paneer a slightly different way to the usual way I make it. I thought it turned out a mess but actually it didn’t.
It felt a bit soft and crumbly after I drained the liquid and I thought I couldn’t use it whole. But after I popped it in the fridge for a bit it didn’t turn out too bad.
The paneer was actually soft and amazing. I crumbled it up and added it to this Vegetable Fried Rice and it tasted amazing.
Ingredients Required for this dish
For this dish you will require some cooked rice, frozen mixed vegetable, vegetable oil, garlic, chilli flakes, spring onion, soy sauce, sriracha sauce, salt and pepper. The paneer is optional
You can make this dish using just veggies. You can also add some tofu if you wish.
I also used a long grain basmati rice for this dish but you can use short grain, jasmine or even brown rice.
How to make this dish
It is best to use rice that has cooled down and preferably rice that was cooked a day before. Or at least a couple of hours before making the fried rice.
You will need a big pan or wok to make this dish. Its very simple and quick.
Heat up oil, fry the onion and garlic. And then basically add all the other ingredients and fry for a few minutes.
I didn’t use any Chinese vinegar this time, although you can. I did add some sriracha to add a little sweetness and some tang.
As you can see I have used pantry basics. So you can make it without running to the shop.
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 medium cloves garlic slivered
- 2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1&1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetable
- 100 gram paneer crumbled
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Heat the oil in a large wok or pan. Add the onion and saute until translucent
- Add the garlic and fry for a few seconds until the raw smell disappears
- Add the chilli flakes and the mixed veggies. Fry until the veggies soften a little
- Move the veggies aside and fry the paneer on one side of the pan
- Once the paneer is slightly brown add the rice and mix well. Add the soy sauce and sriracha sauce
- Season with salt and pepper
- It's best to used rice that was cooked a day before
- You can replace the paneer with eggs or tofu
- You can also add chicken to this recipe, however you will have to fry it before cooking the fried rice and add it at the end
- You can add some Chinese wine vinegar and sesame oil to this dish but it's not absolutely necessary. If you don't cook Chinese dishes often it is a waste to buy a whole bottle of vinegar and sesame oil