I hope you are all feeling as good as I am. Let me just say eliminating so many things, that were not serving me, out of my life has given me so much peace the past few days. That together with my therapy has been helping me focus on everything that’s going right rather than what’s going wrong. So often we beat ourselves up over what we can’t control instead of enjoying what’s right in front of us. So if you are feeling like I was “accept the things you cannot change and have the courage to change the things you can”.
Baby steps for me but I am starting to see the light again and that’s a big positive. I’ve had to leave some people behind in the process of finding myself. But as we all know not everyone is meant to be a part of our lives. Took me a long time to come to that realization but I am starting to feel so much happier for it. Here’s to new beginnings and many more happy days. Today I feel as colorful as these Spicy Loaded Sweet Potato Skins….haha!
Why did mothers have to be the ones to stress over dinner every single day of our lives. Why can’t that be someone else’s job. I don’t know about you but even as a food blogger I sometimes just don’t know how to be creative. Some days I am just stuck. Luckily today wasn’t one of those days. I had these sweet potatoes that was close to it’s expiry date so I had to make a plan and cook them.
These Spicy Loaded Sweet Potato Skins taste so delicious. I think my family is going to love them. As you all should know by now if there’s cheese I am in. I remember my mum making mashed potatoes with chilli and onion. I thought what a great idea for these loaded sweet potatoes.
Loaded potato skins are really simple to make. You cook the potatoes, they are hollowed out. I brushed the skins with some olive oil and set them aside. I cooked the onion, garlic and chilli with the spices, added them to the potatoes with some cream. Loaded with cheese and they good to go.
You can eat these Spicy Loaded Sweet Potato Skins all on it’s own but it’s great on the side too. I am serving just these with a fresh green salad. My healthy husband is going to be in heaven. Wish I could be like him…..only the good bits….haha! Luckily he’s not reading this.
Let me get on with the recipe!
More healthy recipes:
Spicy Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- 6 small sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tspn chilli powder
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup mozarella cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh cream
- sour cream (optional)
- chives (optiona)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, pierce them a few times, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake them for 45 minutes or until soft
- Allow the potatoes to cool a little and slice them lengthwise
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Saute the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a minute. Add the chilli powder and cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Set aside
- Scoop out the sweet potato flesh, leaving a thin layer of sweet potato inside.
- Mash the sweet potatoes using a potato masher. Add the onion ,mixture. Add the cream and mix until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese and 1/3 mozzarella cheese.
- Fill each potato skin with the mashed sweet potato. Sprinkle the other 1/3 mozzarella cheese over. Sprinkle the paprika over and bake for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius
- Serve with sour cream and chives if you prefer
- If you want crispier potato skins you can drizzle them with olive oil,after scooping out the flesh, and bake them for 15 minutes before loading them
- You can reduce the amount of chilli powder if you don't want it too spicy
- You can also sprinkle some breadcrumbs mixed with Parmesan on top if you want a crunchier potato