Often,in my home, I cook what the kids love or what hubby loves, rarely do I bother to cook what I love. Isn’t that what you do for the people you love? My 17 year old loves Spaghetti Bolognese more than my 9-year-old but I try and cook at least one of their favourites in the week. I remember when I ate lamb, the days I cooked anything with lamb I was in heaven.
I miss it sometimes but it’s been almost 7 months since I’ve stopped eating red meat, I think I’ve done pretty well. Giving up your favourite food isn’t easy but when it’s your health over your favourite food then I will do it over.
Although I dont’ eat it I can still remember the taste of all my favourite lamb dishes. If it had a tomato based sauce all the more reason to love it and this Spaghetti Bolognese is exactly one to love. My kids love Italian food, you would swear they must have been Italian in their past lives as they love it more than they love Indian food, crazy but true.
I think I’ve done a great job and getting this dish to taste great, would have to get an Italian’s critic to know that for sure I guess. But if it was all eaten then I would say it was good.
This makes quite a lot of sauce so you can freeze some,if it’s too much for one meal, or you can freeze them in individual containers, perfect for the days when you don’t have time to cook. I used lamb mince as do not eat beef or pork but feel free to use whatever mince you prefer.
How to cook the sauce
I think with most Italian sauces allowing it to simmer for a long time really does infuse the flavors. So if you do have the time I think you should allow your sauce to cook for as long you can.
Although I used canned tomatoes you can use fresh tomatoes if you prefer. Another one of my favorite things to have is Tomato Passata. This is a must have in my pantry and it works well with almost any dish.
Feel free to use Passata if you have some of that at hand. I find the Passata is not as acidic as some canned tomatoes too.
Not authentically Italian
I know this is not cooked the authentic Italian way but for me it’s all about cooking a flavor packed dish. I always add a lot more spices and herbs than maybe most would.
The one thing I can’t handle is bland food. If you feel the need to adjust the recipe according to your taste, feel free to do so.
More Pasta dishes to try:
- 500 gram lamb mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 2 carrots grated
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tspn garlic minced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 x 410 grams canned diced tomatoes blended if you prefer
- 1 tspn chilli powder or 2 fresh chillies finely chopped
- 1 tspn dried rosemary
- 1 tspn dried oregano
- 1 tspn dried italian herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 mutton stock cube
- 1/4 cup fresh cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup parmesan and a little more for serving
- basil leaves (optional)
- 500 gram spaghetti
- Heat a large saucepan on low heat and add olive oil
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and the thyme leaves. Fry for about 10 minutes until it softens.
- Increase the temperature to medium-high heat and add the mince, stirring until it browns
- Add the tomatoes, dried herbs, bay leaf, tomato puree, chilli powder, stock cube and pepper. Add more salt only if required as the stock may have enough salt. Bring to the boil, reduce and let it simmer for an hour to an hour and a half. You will have a rich, thick sauce
- When the sauce is almost cooked , add in your cream. Boil the spaghetti and mix into the sauce. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan and basil leaves