It’s no secret I am addicted to potatoes. Today was one of those days I just had to have some comfort food and what better than these Breakfast Potatoes.
They taste so delicious and instantly lifted my mood. I don’t know what it is about this time of year but I can honestly say it doesn’t excite me.
Yes, I have some bad memories from my past. But it is also far too much pressure and I hate the unnecessary hype.
Although I am very much a people’s person I also love my space. I am also not big on parties and huge celebrations.
My hubby and I are both very low key. We keep things simple and usually it’s lunch or dinner with our close family.
We were always the misfits of the family. You know how you have those cliques and then you are just there because you’re family.
I always tried to embrace everyone in my extended family and treat them with love. However, I didn’t realise just how much of an impact some of their behaviour had on me psychologically.
As Indians we treat people according to their status. That was clearly visible in the extended family I grew up in.
That left a deep seated wound in me that I didn’t even realise was there. Until just a couple of years ago when it all unfolded through one incident.
With all the trauma I had in my life I did seek therapy. I was destroying my inner peace with my emotional conflicts.
I am so glad I did because it’s allowed me to love myself for who I am. Whether I am included or excluded in someone’s life doesn’t matter anymore.
Yes I am that woman with insecurities. My childhood has a lot to do with my insecurities.
Therefore I never want my kids to feel the same way. As long as I am alive I will never make them feel less than they are.
Right now the important thing is that I have made peace with my past. I have a beautiful, caring family that loves me and we have each other for support.
If you feel down at this time of year, know that you’re not alone. Take one day at a time and just know that you matter in this world.
How to make the potatoes
I guess when you’re making breakfast you really don’t want to stand by the stove for hours. If you live at high altitude you would know potatoes take forever to cook.
So for these potatoes I peeled them, chopped them into cubes. I then added about a quarter cup of water to them, covered and steamed them in the microwave for 5 minutes.
That way my potatoes were already cooked. It just needed to be fried on the stovetop and that took about 10 minutes.
I prefer to sauté my potatoes on a low heat just to make sure the potatoes are cooked perfectly.
You don’t need too many ingredients for these potatoes. If you have a family you may want to double this recipe.
This was just enough for two. My kids are not crazy about potatoes.
Serving the potatoes
You can pop some eggs on top after the potatoes are fried. Cover the pan and allow it to steam until the eggs are cooked or you can fry or poach them separately.
We had it on our vegetarian day so we didn’t have eggs. I wanted to try and look all healthy so I added some avocado on the side.
You can also add a dollop of sour cream when serving, if you so wish.
If you’re a potato addict like me then here’s more potato recipes to try:
- 6 small potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small birds eye chilli
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 small lime
- fresh coriander chopped
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes
- Place them in a microwave safe dish, add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes
- Add 3 tablespoon olive oil to a large pan. Add the onion and birds eye chilli and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes. Sprinkle the paprika and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and saute on low heat until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Drizzle some lime juice over the potatoes and garnish with fresh, chopped coriander. Serve hot
- Your potatoes could take a little longer to cook on the stovetop if they didn't cook well in the microwave
- It's best to use floury potatoes, such as Up to date. If you do choose to use other potatoes you may need to cook them longer in the microwave
- You can serve the potatoes with eggs, sausages, avocado or whatever you prefer