My kids are totally crazy about Tacos, it’s all I’ve been hearing for the past few weeks. So I thought today was the day. I am glad it’s over with so hopefully I will not hear about it again for a while…wishful thinking I guess. These Saucy Chicken Tacos are so delicious even I don’t mind having them again. I had a little taste and it was amazing.
Hubby and I are eating light and healthy today so this Saucy Chicken Tacos was made just for the boys. I went out to the shops a week ago and I tried to find some taco shells but there weren’t any.
So today I stuck to some soft taco shells, in the form of my homemade Tortillas. This time I halved the recipe and made 12 mini tortillas, they worked perfectly for this recipe.
If you are making these Tacos for a whole family you can double the recipe or just add 2 extra chicken breasts with a little more spice. They are absolutely flavorful, saucy and totally yum!
Making the Chicken Tacos
Apart from making the tortillas this recipe is so quick and easy. But if you have store bought taco shells there’s no need to stress.
I popped the chicken into the tortillas and topped it up with some tomato, onion, jalapenos, coriander and avocado with some sour cream on top. You can also add some lettuce and cheese if you prefer.
The sauce makes all the difference to these Chicken Tacos. We hate dry food and the sauce just adds a new dimension to these tacos. This is by no means an authentic mexican version, just my little take on it.
We usually go to a Mexican restaurant if we really crave mexican food. I must say I haven’t yet come across a restuarant where I was wowed by their mexican food so for now my version of Saucy Chicken Tacos will do.
I also have a recipe for Lamb Tacos which I make often. Also one of my kids favorites so if you don’t want chicken you can try the lamb recipe.
Please drop me a note and a star rating if you do try this recipe.
Saucy Chicken Tacos
- 500 gram chicken breasts or thighs 4 breasts
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1&1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 8 taco shells
- sour cream
- Mix one tablespoon oil, paprika, oregano, cumin, chilli powder, salt, onion powder and garlic powder together.
- Cut the chicken breasts into halves vertically so you have 8 fillets. Mix the marinade into the chicken. Heat the other tablespoon oil in a pan and brown the chicken on either side, about a minute on each side. It's totally fine if not fully cooked as it will cook further in the sauce
- In the same pan add the tomato paste, sugar and chicken broth. Simmer for about 2 minutes until it reduces just a little
- Shred or chop the chicken breasts and add it to the sauce. Cook for a minute or until breasts are fully cooked. Do not over cook
- Fill the taco shells with the chicken and top with the tomato, onion, jalapeno, avocado, coriander, lettuce and sour cream
- You can use chicken thighs instead of the breasts, however you can cook the thighs a little longer
- Instead of lime juice you can use lemon juice
- Add more sugar if required
- If you want more heat you can add some jalapenos to the sauce