This is the best Chicken a la King you will ever make. I don’t do bland and therefore had to make this suitable for my spicy Indian palate.
Chicken a la King
If you want to make dinner in a rush but still want maximum flavour then this ones for you. It’s been a while since I made this dish and in the old days I always thought I had to use those packet stuff to make this dish.
But trust me making it from scratch tastes so much better. And I bet you have most of the ingredients in your pantry already.
I’ve had a rough week, I think I’m at that age where I feel like the wheels are falling off. Everything that could go wrong in terms of my health went wrong this week.
Of course I hate going to the doctor but I had to make several visits this week. It’s another reason I have been looking for quick and easy recipes.
My hubby is really good and he doesn’t mind if I don’t cook. He will gladly get us something that we can heat and eat or get takeout.
However, I can only do so much of those meals. After a couple of those I need a home cooked meal.
My kids of course won’t mind if I let them eat takeout all day, everyday. But mums know what’s best, right!
As I said for this dish you require simple ingredients, you don’t have to rush off to a gourmet store. I may have been a peasant in my past life…haha!
I feel like I’m the only one that doesn’t appreciate fancy food. It’s the simplest of food that appeals to my senses.
If you could give me yellow potato curry every day I would be happy. Yes I said potato because I am a potato addict.
List of Ingredients
You will require butter, olive oil, chicken breasts, mushroom, spring onion, green pepper, chilli, garlic, dried mixed herbs, paprika, chicken stock or broth, evaporated milk, flour, salt and pepper
How to make this dish
The best thing about this dish is that it’s all made in one pot. No fuss, no mess.
You heat up some olive oil. Add the garlic and fry for a few seconds. Add the chilli. Add the chicken and paprika, cook for a few minutes. Remove from pan and set aside
Then add the butter and once that melts, add the spring onion and pepper. Fry for a minute
Add the mushroom and let that cook until nicely browned. Add salt and pepper and the mixed herbs.
Once the mushroom is cooked, add the flour. Mix that well until all the white bits disappear
Add the chicken stock and mix well. Add the evaporated milk. You can use normal milk if you prefer.
Return the chicken to the pot. Bring it to a boil and turn off the heat.
You can serve this dish with rice or pasta or even mashed potatoes.
It is a quick and easy dish and your family will love it.
Chicken a la King
- 500 gram chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon green chilli paste see note 2
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 small spring onion
- 1 green pepper/capsicum julienned
- 250 gram white or brown mushroom sliced
- 3 tablespoon cake flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1x380 gram evaporated milk see note 1
- salt see note 4
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the garlic and fry for a few seconds. Mix in the green chilli paste
- Add the chicken, in two batches and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside
- Add the butter to the same pan. Once melted add the spring onion and green pepper. Fry for 1 minute then add the mushroom. Add the mixed herbs and mix well. Cook until mushroom is caramelised
- Add the flour and mix until the white bits have disappeared. Cook for a minute. Add a few drops of water if required
- Add the chicken stock and mix well. Add the evaporated milk and mix until it starts to bubble. Return the chicken to the pan
- Season with more salt and pepper if you prefer. Turn off the heat
- If you don't have evaporated milk you can use plain old milk. Evaporated milk is fresh milk that has been heated so that the water content evaporates. It then goes through a sterilization process and canned. It adds a lovely richness to the dish
- You can reduce the amount of chili or add more as per your taste. Chilli paste can be found in most spice shops. It is basically green chillies that's crushed and preserved and some with garlic
- You can use a Knorr stock pot mixed in a cup of warm water instead of liquid or powdered stock
- Note that stock has salt already so be mindful when adding salt to the dish
- This is not the authentic way of making chicken a la king so feel free to leave out the paprika and chilli should you wish. However, it does add a nice kick to the dish which we love