This Easy Crumpet Recipe I’ve had since I was 19-years-old. A friend I worked with gave me this recipe she found in a cookbook.
Easy Crumpet Recipe
It is a simple, flop proof recipe and if my kids want a treat in a hurry this is my go to recipe. It also brings back very fond memories of my younger days in Durban.
I had an amazing colleague I worked with, it was my second job and I was in a very junior position at the time , but she always made me feel like a part of the team.
Her name was also Lorraine and she had the kindest heart, I guess all Lorraines are special people. She took me out for lunches and coffee.
One our favourite places was the Botanical gardens, where they served the most amazing Crumpets or some of us know it as flapjacks with cream and syrup…that’s where my love affair with Crumpets started.
My kids have been really good the past 2 weeks, staying of meat, fish and eggs so today I made all their favourite foods. My 9-year-old couldn’t stop eating the crumpets.
It was served with a dollop of cream and loads of syrup. Thank goodness he didn’t go crazy with the sugar rush.
I let him relish it as it’s not often that they get treats on a weekday, that’s usually left for the weekends.
What is Crumpets
Crumpets is the same as flapjacks or pancakes as some parts of the world call it. Here in South Africa we refer to them as crumpets.
How to make Easy Crumpet Recipe
This really is an Easy Crumpet Recipe. Somedays when I’m lazy I practically dump everything into one bowl and give it a quick whisk, even then it’s perfect.
They are soft, light and fluffy. These crumpets can be eaten with a spread of butter or some cream and syrup, either way they are still so yummy!
Making this Easy Crumpet Recipe
I did use 3/4 cup of milk to make the batter, however if you feel the batter is too thick you can add a little more milk. For this Easy Crumpet Recipe the batter has to be a dropping consistency.
Please also ensure you cook them on a medium heat, if it cooks too fast the insides will not be cooked. When cooking the crumpets you flip them over once you see little bubbles forming on the surface.
These Crumpets can be served with a dollop of cream, some golden syrup or maple syrup and fresh berries. Some days I prefer it with just butter. Either way it tastes delicious.
If you do try this recipe please drop me a comment and a star rating. It is always appreciated.
More recipes to try:
Easy Crumpet Recipe
- 1 cup cake wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter or oil plus a little extra butter to grease the pan
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Sift all the dry ingredients and set aside. Beat the egg and combine it with the melted butter or oil and buttermilk/milk
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until it forms a smooth batter. I use a whisk to ensure there are no lumps. Add more milk if you feel the batter is too thick
- Pour about a quarter cup of batter on a greased pan and cook. Once little bubbles form on the surface, flip it over and cook the other side
- Serve with whipped cream and maple syrup
- You may need a little more milk for the batter. However, ensure that your batter is not too runny or it will be difficult to keep the shape
- You can make them egg free by replacing the egg with some lemon juice or vinegar. The texture may not be exactly the same but close enough
- The batter does thicken a little on standing so if it's too runny allow it to stand for 5 minutes
- You can use some buttermilk if you wish, however the milk works perfectly fine
- These crumpets are perfect with jam too