My family absolutely loves these Sweetcorn and Cheese Samoosas. It’s one of their favorites and no matter how many times I make them, it’s never enough. I am not always in the mood to make my pastry from scratch so a store bought one will do. It is a scorcher out here in Johannesburg and as much as I love cooking it is not pleasant being in the kitchen.
One of the reasons love making these Sweetcorn and Cheese Samoosas, because it is one of the easier ones to make. If you want to make it even more easy you can buy some grated cheese too…Lol! No I didn’t use that, I grated my own cheese. I think it’s a pretty easy recipe so I hope you do too. I have also made a little video just so you can see just how easy it is. Please excuse my videography skills. I am no expert. In fact my videos are made with my phone and no fancy gadgets. If it’s not perfect please go easy on me.
I know there are people out there that are more visual. I myself like seeing how things are made rather that follow instructions. So I thought my little videos can help those that love to see how everything comes together. If you’re a novice in the kitchen even better to watch a video.
Folding samoosas are a little tedious. So I sometimes take my tray to my tv room with all my “equipment” and just fold away while watching my favourite series. It’s one way to get the job done…haha!
I love using loads of fresh herbs in my samoosas, no matter what flavour I make. It takes your samoosas to a whole new dimension. Try it and you will thank me for it. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does. Happy Cooking!
Sweetcorn and Cheese Samoosas
- 30 readymade samoosa strips
- 2 cups frozen sweetcorn
- 1&1/2 tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4-5 green chillies finely chopped
- 1&1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1&1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tspn paprika
- 1/2 cup dhania/coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup mint chopped
- Light olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
Flour Paste to seal samoosas
- 2 tbsp cake wheat flour
- 3 tbsp water
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add cumin seeds
- Once seeds start to burst add onion and chillies
- Sauté until onion is translucent
- Add sweetcorn and season with salt and paprika
- Fry on high heat until sweetcorn heats through
- Remove from heat and transfer into a large bowl to cool
- Once cool add cheese and herbs. Mix well and fill the samoosas
- To fill the samoosas. Fold the end of one samoosa strip into a triangular pocket. Fill in 1&1/2 tablespoon filling.
- Tuck the edge in. Fold over. Use some flour paste to seal
- To make the flour paste use 2 tbsp cake wheat flour and 3 tbsp water. Whisk well to form a smooth paste
- Best fried from frozen in warm oil on medium heat