This Coconut Lime Chicken makes such a quick and easy weeknight dinner. It has become one of my favorites. It is a healthy dish too.
Coconut Lime Chicken
I used chicken breasts for this Coconut Lime Chicken, however you can use thighs if you wish. I have seen dishes with thighs with skin on and they look amazing.
My kids aren’t fans of chicken on the bone or skin on. I am not a fan of chicken skin unless it really is crispy.
Chicken on the bone though is tastier than boneless chicken. Usually if I am making a dish for myself I will use chicken on the bone.
The only time the skin is left on if I am cooking a whole chicken. That too is rare in our home.
This dish takes under 30 minutes to cook, that’s the best bit. If you are in a hurry to get dinner on the table this is the perfect dish.
Usually I would add a whole lot of spice to my dishes. This time I tried to keep it as minimal as possible. The chilli and lime really flavors the dish well.
I didn’t think there was a need for too much spice. For me it’s all about flavour. I definitely won’t eat a bland dish but simple doesn’t have to be bland.
How to cook the Coconut Lime Chicken
There is nothing complicated with this dish. The chicken is marinated and fried. You then make the sauce in the same pot.
The chicken is added to the dish and dinner is served. I like a little bit of heat in my dishes so I added a little more chilli.
You can adjust the amount of chilli according to your preference. I also like the convenience of using ginger garlic paste in my dishes.
It saves me the hassle of preparing my ginger and garlic separately. I have a great recipe for ginger garlic paste on my blog. It is handy to make some yourself.
The ginger garlic paste can be made and frozen in ice cube trays for convenience.
This dish is best served with some Jasmine rice. I do love rice so for me this is comfort in a bowl. Although I am trying hard to stay away from too many carbs some things are irresistable.
If you want to add some extra coconut flavor to your dish then why not try this Coconut Rice Recipe from NYT cooking as an accompaniment.
If you do try this dish please drop me a comment and a star rating.
More Recipes to try:
Coconut Lime Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1x 400ml coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2-3 thai green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger/garlic paste
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice
- salt only if required
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips or cubes. Marinate with the salt and pepper and garlic powder
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and fry the chicken. Fry them in 2 or 3 batches on high heat, just a few seconds on each side until slightly brown.It doesn't have to be fully cooked as it will cook further in the sauce. Remove and set aside
- In the same pan, add the onion and saute until transluscent. You can add a couple teaspoons more oil if required. Add the ginger/garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the chillies. Mix the coconut milk, chicken stock and cornflour together. Add it to the pan. Allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. At this stage you can blend it if you wish. Allow it to cool a little before blending or it will splatter. If you don't mind the bits of onion add the chicken and bring it to a boil.
- Turn off the heat. Drizzle in the lime juice and garnish with fresh coriander.
- Chicken breast can easily turn rubbery so never overcook them. Therefore it is always flash fried or it's cooked on a low heat for a longer time. This way you are guaranteed to have tender chicken breasts