My hubby says this is the best thing he’s eaten so thats huge for me. because he’s so darn fussy. Or maybe he was just hungry…Lol!
I was frankly tired of all the cooking I’ve been doing of late, having a pescatarian and then my meat eating kids under one roof. So this Tuna Potato Spinach Bake was the perfect dinner, one dish feeds everyone.
I am the least fussy one, I eat everyone’s leftovers, sometimes I even give away my share of something because they love it so much.
Aren’t mothers the best, we always take the scraps but yet still so unappreciated. I guess that’s why mother’s are special because we still survive no matter what life throws at us…haha!
What ingredients do I need
Potatoes, Onion, Spinach, Garlic, Cream or Milk, Cheese and Canned Tuna, Spices
Basic Ingredients that doesn’t cost a packet
How do I cook this dish
Firstly you have to cook your potatoes. If you’re living in Johannesburg you would know by now potatoes take forever to cook. I suggest you boil the potatoes until they are tender. This also speeds up the process.
The spinach is then cooked separately with the onion, garlic and some chilli flakes. Everything is mixed together, placed in an ovenproof dish, topped with cheese and baked in the oven.
How do I serve it?
This Tuna Potato Spinach Bake is great with a fresh green salad and if you wish you can have some bread on the side. Or you can eat it all on it’s own, with a drizzle of hot sauce. We literally have hot sauce with everything we can.
We simply loved this dish and it’s definitely a keeper in our home. I love it when everyone is happy to eat what I cook. Wish it could be that way everyday.
If you do try my recipe your comment and star rating is always appreciated.
Tuna Potato Spinach Bake
- 1 kg potatoes about 5 large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 large garlic minced
- 3 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 milk or cream
- 1 tspn salt
- 2 x 170grams canned tuna chunks drained
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup mozarella cheese grated
- Scrub the potatoes. Place them in a pot, add some salt, top it up with water and boil until tender. A knife should slide through easily when cooked
- Place the olive oil and onion in a pan. Saute the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the spinach and chilli flakes, fry for a few seconds. Remove from heat and set aside
- Once the potatoes are cooked, peel them and chop them up into cubes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Place the melted butter, milk/cream, paprika in a bowl. Mix in the potatoes, tuna and spinach
- Place in an ovenproof dish. Top with melted cheese. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes or more, depending on whether your potatoes are fully cooked
- Allow it to stand for 5 minutes. Serve hot
- If your potatoes are not fully cooked you may require a bit more liquid when baking the dish in the oven
- I used half cheddar and half mozarella, you can use whatever you prefer. You can also add some parmesan if you prefer
- Milk or cream works fine for this dish
- If you want your cheese a golden brown you can turn the grill function on during the last few minutes of cooking time