I have fond memories of this dish growing up, Yellow Potato Curry with Cumin. You must wonder why the name Yellow Potato, well that name comes from the addition of turmeric that turns the potato into a beautiful hue of yellow.
My mum often made us sandwiches topped with this curry and a spread of grated mango pickle/atchar on top. It was the most delicious thing ever. I didn’t think my sandwiches were anything to rave about when I was at school. However, I had a friend that thought I had the most scrumptious food in my lunchbox.
She couldn’t wait for me to share my mum’s delicious sandwiches with her. Who would have thought sandwiches made with Yellow Potato Curry with Cumin would be such a hit.
This is one of those really budget meals to make. But nothing tastes better. All you need is some oil, green chilli, cumin, potatoes, salt and some mint leaves. How much easier can it get.
Anti-inflammatory Tumeric and Vegan
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and has great health benefits, it’s why I love using turmeric in my cooking. The added bonus is that this dish is vegan and the addition of mint adds a new spin to the classic recipe. Mint may not always seem like the perfect herb to pair with potatoes but the flavour is amazing.
What do I serve it with?
The best way to eat this dish is with freshly baked bread. However, roti will also do. My hubby is a huge roti fan so he will eat it with practically any curry. Me on the other hand, not so much.
Do try it with some bread and let me know what you think, it may be an overload of carbs but it’s worth it. If you have some pickle/atchar in your cupboard even better, nothing beats this Yellow Potato Curry with Cumin and that hint of tanginess.
Simple food at its best
It’s not even suppertime and I’m already salivating. The best food is made with simple ingredients, it’s why I’m not into gourmet food, takes too much effort with way too many ingredients. I don’t have the time nor the patience for that. I will leave that to the experts. Well if you looking for a quick dinner then this is your recipe.
Yellow Potato Curry with Cumin
- 600 gram/4 medium potatoes potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 2 tbsp light olive oil or 2 tspn ghee
- 1 tspn cumin
- 1/2 tspn turmeric
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- few mint leaves chopped
- 3 green chillies slit in halves
- 1/2 cup/125ml water you may need more water
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds
- Once the cumin seeds start to burst add the onion, curry leaf and chillies
- When the onion is transluscent add the potatoes and turmeric. Season with salt
- Saute the potatoes for a minute. Add half cup of water and simmer on a low temperature until potatoes are soft and tender. During the cooking process you can add a little more water if it dries out before the potatoes are cooked
- Mix in the mint leaves and serve hot