My 11-year-old has a thing about Tomato Soup. He loves it, not sure if many kids like tomato soup but my child is a little crazy like his mom. This Tomato Coconut Soup is so good, especially with some cheese toasties on the side.
Tomato Coconut Soup
Only this time I had to make dinner rolls with garlic butter because that’s the request I got. As I have mentioned before I am not a soup lover but I do eat soups.
Some are really delicious like this one. Only if you ask me to choose between a soup and a curry you can guess which one I will choose.
However, I do like to give my family a balanced diet so we have a little bit of everything. Kids and veggies don’t always go together.
I do try to make veggies in different ways just so they can eat them without driving me nuts.
Ingredients for Tomato Coconut Soup
Roma Tomatoes, Garlic, Onion, Thyme, Turmeric, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Coconut Milk…these are the ingredients you need to make this very easy soup.
I added a potato to thicken my soup a little but you can leave it out. I also didn’t feel the need to add a veggie broth like I usually do.
If you wish you can add a cup of veggie broth, especially if you’re not using any potatoes.
Quick and Easy
This soup requires absolutely no effort. I chopped up all the ingredients, placed them on a baking tray and popped it in the oven for 3o minutes.
Once the tomatoes were beautifully roasted I blended all the ingredients and added the coconut milk. Simple as that.
How do I serve tomato soup
We love eating our soup with some toasted cheese sandwiches on the side. However, this time I made some dinner rolls with garlic butter, yum!
More Soup Recipes to try:
Tomato Coconut Soup
- 6 large roma tomatoes
- 1 small potato (optional)
- 1 large onion
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 chilli (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 x400ml cocount milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Wash and chop the tomatoes into 8 pieces each. Mix all the ingredients together, except the coconut milk. The coconut milk will only be added at the end. Spread out the ingredients on a baking tray and bake at 180 degrees celsius for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft and tender and tomatoes are slightly charred
- Remove from oven once cooked. Discard the thyme sprigs. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Place the soup in a saucepan and add the coconut milk. Simmer for a few minutes until the soup has been heated through
- Serve with a sprinkle of feta and sunflower seeds with toasted cheese or garlic bread on the side
- If you are adding the potato to the soup you can cook it in the microwave for about 4 minutes before roasting it with the tomatoes in the oven. In JHB potatoes tend to take forever to cook so this helps
- If you wish you can leave out the coconut cream and add a cup of vegetable broth and some fresh cream
- The garlic can be roasted with the skin on and remove it when blending