I think we all need to take care of ourselves, now more than ever. We have to ensure whatever we are eating is nutritionally good for us. It’s not easy when we all at home, we always looking for something to eat. Especially kids, I have them so I know what it’s like. They are allowed treats but in moderation. Today I thought this Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup is exactly what they need.
This Chicken Soup is filled with fresh vegetable, tender chicken, noodles and a delicious broth. I know homemade is always best but I didn’t have any chicken on the bone to make my broth. So I did use some good quality store bought chicken broth. But feel free to make your own if you prefer.
You can use egg noodle or pasta for this soup. I had both but I preferred to use the smaller pasta, I think because it’s just easier to eat. When serving this Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup I drizzled a little lemon juice over. But you don’t have to.
Ginger and Turmeric is good for reducing inflammation and we use it when we have colds and flus. So I thought it was a good idea to add some to my soup. If you don’t like too much ginger you can add a little less.
More Healthy Recipes to try:
Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 medium celery sticks finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 bay leaf
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breast sliced in the center
- 1 cup dry pasta
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Place oil, bay leaf, onion, garlic, ginger, celery, carrots and thyme in a pot and cook on low heat until vegetables are soft and tender
- Mix in the turmeric and oregano and add chicken broth. Bring to a boil
- Add the chicken breasts and cook until it turns white, about 2 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and set aside
- Add the pasta and allow it to cook until tender, about 15 minutes
- Once noodles are cooked return the chicken to the pot. Season with more salt, if required, and pepper
- Garnish with parsley and drizzle some lemon juice over when serving
- You can add some chilli flakes if you prefer some heat
- Leave out the pasta if you looking for a low carb option, add more vegetable instead
- For homemade broth pop some chicken on the bone together with celery, carrots, thyme, rosemary, pepper and onion in a pot. Top up with water and simmer for a few hours. Strain and use the broth for the soup, discard the bones from the chicken and use the meat
- Cooking time may differ depending on where you live. In Johannesburg everything takes forever to cook due to altitude