I bought some strawberries a few days ago with the intention of making a cheesecake but I never got around to making them. Today I thought some Strawberry Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar will put them to good use, before they go all funny.
When I think muffins I think a little more dense textured than cupcakes. However today I didn’t feel like dense, I wanted something a little lighter. These muffins are just that, quite light and airy because this time I whisked the eggs and sugar until they were double in volume and then added the dry ingredients. I usually dump them all in one bowl, give it a quick mix and in the oven it goes.
These Strawberry Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar were delicious and I wanted a little crunch so I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on top before baking them. My home smelled like a bakery, with that delicious cinnamon on top. I may not have added enough cinnamon but next time I will definitely increase the amount of cinnamon. I also did not use up all the cinnamon sugar but you can use it all up if you prefer. It didn’t take much time to prepare and if you want you can have a fresh batch of muffins everyday just because muffins are that easy.
Although I added strawberries to my batter you can really add anything you prefer, chocolate chips, bananas, blueberries. I think this is the perfect muffin batter and I will definitely be trying new flavours soon.
I know from baking with sprinkles and choc-chips they usually sink to the bottom so just to be safe I mixed my strawberries with a tablespoon of flour and then mixed them into the batter. I am not sure if that did the trick or not but the strawberries were nicely placed all over the muffins.
Strawberry Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar
- 60 gram butter melted
- 1/2 cup /125ml double cream yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup/125ml granulated sugar
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 cup /250ml cake wheat flour
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
For the Crust
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tspn cinnamon you can add more cinnamon if you wish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside
- Sift flour and baking powder and set aside. Melt the butter and mix in the yogurt and set aside
- Whisk the eggs for 3 minutes, then add the sugar and whisk for a further 3 minutes or until it's light in colour and double in volume
- Add the vanilla essence
- Fold in the flour mixture together with the butter and yogurt and mix in the strawberries
- Using a quarter measuring cup fill each muffin liner halfway
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top
- Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean