I always talk about how my mum made breakfast a big deal whilst I was growing up. Well this is one of my mum’s recipes, Spicy Indian Scrambled Eggs. I did tweak it a little but it used to be my dad’s favourite eggs. I remember the days my mum cooked a vegetable curry and there were a lot of moans and grumbles about the fact that it was just veggies. She quickly whipped up these scrambled eggs and served it on the side, just so the veggies would go down well.
We absolutely love anything with chilli, so no guessing why these Spicy Indian Scrambled Eggs would be our favourite. Who need bland and boring when you can spice things up. These eggs are nothing fancy, it’s just a few eggs whisked with some onion and chilli. Well that’s how it use to be when I lived at home. I added some coriander, spring onion, 2 different types of chilli, a sprinkle of paprika and a little butter.
The trick to making these eggs is to whisk the raw onion, chilli and herbs with the eggs. You then scramble them all together. The purpose of adding the onion together with the eggs is to still get that crunch from the onion. If you love raw onion then you will love this scrambled eggs with the crunch of the onion.
I made these for our breakfast and my hubby poured some leftover gravy from a prawn curry we had the night before. He thought it was heaven. It’s winter and freezing here in JHB so what better way to get some comfort, than spicy food. If you want to pimp up your eggs you’ve got to try this Spicy Indian Scrambled Eggs.
Spicy Indian Scrambled Eggs
- 5 large eggs
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dhania/coriander
- 1 green chillie finely chopped
- 1 birds eye chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 1 small spring onion chopped
- pinch of paprika or chilli powder
- 1 tspn butter or a little oil
- Beat the eggs
- Add the onion, chillies, dhania, spring onion and a pinch of paprika or chilli powder. Season with salt
- Heat the butter or oil in a pan and cook eggs until light and fluffy
- Serve hot with some fresh bread