Spicy Fish Stew…yes you heard right! I never thought I will ever attempt making a fish stew ever. But my hubby was so crazy about eating a fish stew I had no choice but to give in. Believe it or not I was requested to make this twice in one weekend and I made it a couple of times before.
My 11-year-old and my husband couldn’t get enough of it. If the two fussiest eaters say that it’s good then it must mean something. I had a little taste of it and yes it was delicious. It pairs perfectly well with some crusty bread. I know this is going to be a staple in our home from now on. But I am not complaining because it is so easy to cook. And my 11-year-old will get some healthy protein and veggies.
I didn’t add too many herbs and spices to this dish but it is still packed with flavour. Nothing worse than a bland stew. I added just a few prawns to this dish just to give it that added seafood flavour. You can add more if you prefer and use less fish. My family preferred the fish only as my hubby is watching his cholesterol. New Year approaching so new habits, not sure how long that will last though…haha!
Seeing I didn’t plan very well for this Spicy Fish Stew, I had to make do with the veggies I had at hand. I added some carrots and a little bit of potato. The reason I added the potato was to help thicken the stew.
More Seafood Recipes:
- 5 jumbo prawns shell on
- 500 gram kingklip or any firm white fish
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 bay leaf
- 4 large garlic cloves smashed and chopped
- 1 tspn fresh thyme leaves
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 small potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tspn chilli powder
- 3 cups water
- Add one teaspoon chilli powder and some salt to the prawns and marinate for 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry prawns, about a minute on each side. Remove from oil and set aside
- In the same pan add the onion, thyme and celery
- Sauté until onion is translucent
- Add the garlic and fry for a minute
- Add the other teaspoon of chilli powder and fry for a few seconds
- Add the potatoes and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until carrots and potatoes are tender
- You can remove the bay leaf and use a stick blender and give it a quick blitz. It doesn't have to be smooth
- Return to the heat and add the fish. Cook for about 2 minutes, just until the fish turns white. Add the prawns and turn the heat off. The fish will finish cooking with the heat from the stew.
- Garnish with parsley and add a drizzle of lemon juice. Serve with crusty bread
- If you want a creamy stew you can add a dash of fresh cream
- You can omit the prawns and just use fish
- You can also reduce the amount of fish and add more prawns
- The water can be replaced with fish stock