My family are Hindus and therefore we often abstain from meat, it’s either for a religious occasion or sometimes just as a sacrifice to say thank you for all the blessings in our lives. In our home we are meat-free every Monday and Tuesday and that includes staying away from eggs too. Vegetable curries are delicious but I don’t cook a curry more than twice a week and with my picky eaters I have to get creative with veggies. I must admit I’m not all that creative with vegetarian dishes but sometimes I even surprise myself. This Roast Sweet Potato, Onion and Feta Tart was absolutely heavenly.
Yes, I know I was going to keep my recipes simple and this doesn’t look simple you may say. However, the simplicity comes in planning and prepping ahead of time. The Balsamic Caramelized Onion can be made a couple of days ahead and refrigerated, for the Quick and Easy Quiche Pastry (With Cheese) you can make the pastry and freeze it in the tart tin, remove from the freezer and pop it straight into the oven. It may just take a little longer to cook. You can also roast the sweet potatoes a day or two ahead and refrigerate that too. Now is that not simple?
I love anything with cheese, give me cheese everyday and I will be happy as a lark. This Roast Sweet Potato, Onion and Feta Tart was light and flaky and went down really well with a crisp, green salad. Makes a perfect light summer lunch and when you have vegetarians over for dinner you can wow them with this delicious tart.
Roasting the sweet potatoes makes all the difference to the tart but if you are looking for a quick way you can pop them into the airfryer for 9 minutes at 180 degrees. I have tried roasting mine in the oven and the airfryer and both tasted equally delicious. This tart can also be baked ahead, it tastes great, hot or cold.
Roast Sweet Potato, Onion and Feta Tart
- 3/4 cup balsamic caramelized onion
- quiche pastry
- 350 gram sweet potato (about 2&1/2 cups) cut into small cubes
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 5 plus 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tspn chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- 1/4 cup Full cream milk
- 100 gram feta cheese you can add more if you wish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Make the pastry and refrigerate for half an hour. Prick with a fork and blind bake at 200 degrees celcius for 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside
- Mix the chilli flakes, rosemary, thyme and some salt and pepper with the sweet potato. Spread them on a roasting pan and roast in the oven at 180 degrees celcius for 20 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Prepare the caramelized onions and set aside
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. To assemble the tart, start by layering the caramelized onion first, then add the sweet potato. Crumble the feta and scatter over the sweet potato.
- Mix the fresh cream and milk together and gently fill the tart shell with the mixture
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees celcius for 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced