Recipe Updated: 27 March 2020. My kids love pizzas and normally it’s takeout on a Friday which is when we sometimes get pizza. Things are a little different today so I made them pizza. I made some Quick and Easy Pizza Sauce, a little extra so I can freeze some.I have no yeast and had to make do with whatever was in my pantry. I used my no yeast naan bread recipe, just doubled it which gave me 3 large pizzas.
This sauce is absolutely flavor filled and delicious. You can also use this sauce in pastas. If you have a good sauce you don’t need much else to slurp down that pasta. Yes, if you know me well you would know I’ve added chilli to my sauce but that’s a personal choice. You can totally leave out the chilli.
I do add a little sugar to this Quick and Easy Pizza sauce. I find canned tomatoes a little too acidic. There a few different brands that I have tried but I find the Woolworths Italian tomatoes to be the best, not as acidic as others I’ve tried.
It is really a quick and easy sauce to make. I prefer a smoother sauce but you can keep it a little chunky if you wish. You can also use this sauce as a dip or serve it with veggies. There are many ways to use this sauce, it’s so versatile and can be frozen too.
Quick and Easy Pizza Sauce
- 2x400 gram whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tspn chilli flakes finely chopped
- 2 tspn dried oregano or dried Italian Herbs
- 1 tspn fresh thyme leaves only
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1-2 tspn sugar
- Add olive oil and onion to a pan and sauté on medium heat until onion is slightly brown
- Add the bay leaf, thyme leaves, garlic and chilli flakes and cook for a minute
- Squish the tomatoes in your hands and add it together with the dried oregano and tomato paste
- Add some salt and the sugar depending on how acidic your tomatoes are
- Simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat until the sauce reduces and thickens
- If you want your sauce a little smooth you an use a blender and blend it to the desired consistency
- Add the chopped basil
- You can add some fresh chilli if you prefer
- Once sauce is completely cool you can store in the freezer