The days seem like it’s never ending, the routine’s the same. Waking up everyday to cooking. cleaning, helping with school work. It seems like everyday is the same day. I have been trying to stay as positive as I can. Even though I watch the news and I see how sad the situation really is. I help where I can and I feel empathy for all those suffering at the hands of this virus; that seems never ending.
I have learnt that living one day at a time is the only way to live right now. If you think too much into the future you will be stressed. Today I put on some make-up for the first time in many days and took the time to actually brush my hair. I had a video call with my therapist and I had to look at least a little presentable. I so needed that, feeling like I am pretty again and the chat.
Staying at home can allow us to let ourselves go and forget that we need to take care of ourselves too. I have decided that I am going to make more effort to dress a little better and pamper myself every once in a while. I think we all need that. Little things like wearing some decent clothes and a touch of make-up makes me feel better, don’t know why I took so long. So if you feeling a little down, dress up and put on that lipstick. I promise it works.
Let me get to sharing my Chicken Stroganoff Recipe with you. I absolutely love this recipe. It’s chicken cooked with chicken, stock, sour cream, some mustard and it is so tasty. You can serve it with some mashed potatoes or egg noodles. Stroganoff is a dish that originated in Russia and it was made with tender strips of beef in a sour cream sauce.
I first tasted a Chicken Stoganoff when I worked in corporate and there was a little deli around the corner. They sold the most amazing food and this was one of my favourites. It was such a big portion served with egg noodles and a friend and I always shared this for lunch. The good old days.
Although I have used chicken breasts, because my kids love white meat; you can use chicken thighs. It is more juicy and tender and you can brown it for longer. Chicken breasts is fine if you do not over cook it. I prefer to brown the whole chicken breast and I cut into strips after. Literally takes about a minute to brown on each side. It will cook further in the sauce so no need to fully cook it.
If you try this recipe I hope you love it as much as we do. Do drop me email and share your comments.
More delicious Chicken Recipes to try:
- 500 gram chicken breasts or thighs about 4 chicken breasts, sliced down the center
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 250 gram mushroom sliced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1&1/2 tbsp cake wheat flour/all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Sprinkle the paprika and salt and pepper on the chicken breasts. Heat one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon oil in a large pan and brown the chicken breasts, both sides until brown, about a minute on each side. Transfer to a plate and set aside
- In the same pan (you need all those bits from the chicken) heat another tablespoon of butter. Add the chopped onion and saute for a minute. Add the mushrooms and fry until golden brown
- Add the minced garlic and fry for a minute. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for a further minute
- Slowly add in the chicken broth. Remove from the heat and stir in the dijon mustard and sour cream until well incorporated.
- Return to the heat and simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens. Cut up the chicken breasts into strips and add to the sauce
- Garnish with parsley and served with egg noodles or mashed potatoes
- I cut the chicken breasts horizontally to make 8 fillets
- You can use the white button mushrooms or portobellini mushrooms
- The cake wheat flour/all purpose flour can be replaced with cornflour which must be mixed in some water before adding to the pan