Who doesn’t love some veggies in a creamy sauce with loads of cheese. If it’s a Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake even better.
Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake
I know I haven’t been posting much. I have been accompanying my hubby to the office a lot more than expected.
There are too many things to juggle around and I feel like I need a holiday. I am hoping to share more recipes again.
I am also keen to get that recipe book done, it will probably have to be self-published. I just have to find the time to get the photography done and hopefully will be good to go.
That could take several months because again I have to see what my schedule is like. I hope I can get some normality soon.
There was a time when I was so consumed by getting that recipe book done. I got this crazy thought in my head that if it’s done it will be seen as one of the biggest accomplishments for me.
And then of course a few days ago I read this little snippet in a book by Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now. I am going to share this because it is so profound.
“If you set yourself a goal and work toward it, you are using clock time. You are aware of where you want to go, but you honour and give your fullest attention to the step that you are taking at this moment. If you then become excessively focused on the goal, perhaps because you are seeking happiness, fulfilment, or a more complete sense of self in it, the Now is no longer honoured. It becomes reduced to a mere stepping stone to the future, with no intrinsic value. Clock time then turns into psychological time. Your life’s journey is no longer an adventure, just an obsessive need to arrive, to attain, to “make it”.
I haven’t completed reading the whole book but what I have understood thus far is that we have to live in the NOW. “Realise deeply that the present moment is all you ever have” so “Make the now the primary focus of your life”.
Too often we get so caught up in the past and the future we forget that the NOW is our only moment and we never truly enjoy it.
I think it’s time to live life a little differently.
Back to the Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake. This really is delicious and of course cheese makes everything taste amazing.
To make this dish you will need about 350grams of cauliflower and an equal amount broccoli. If it is slightly over or under it’s no big deal.
You will also need some chilli flakes, butter, flour, milk, garlic powder, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and some panko crumbs.
I love the crunchiness that the panko crumbs give this dish so I don’t suggest you leave it out.
Of course if you’re really struggling to get some then I guess you must.
How to make this dish
You will have to steam the veggies in the microwave for about 9 minutes or you can steam it on the stovetop.
The veggies can be added into some cold water and steamed until soft and tender, on the stovetop. For the microwave you don’t need water.
Once cooked you then season with salt, pepper and some chili flakes. You make the sauce and pour it over and sprinkle the cheese on top.
Scatter the panko crumbs on top and bake in the oven. This takes just a few minutes because everything is cooked already.
We simply love this dish and I hope you enjoy it just as much. It makes a great side dish and you can serve it with any protein of your choice.
More Recipes to try:
Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake
- 700 gram broccoli and cauliflower
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk see note 1
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup grated mozarella
- 4 tbsp panko crumbs
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower in some cold water, season with salt and cook on the stovetop on medium heat until tender but to mushy. Alternatively rinse the veggies well and place in a microwave safe dish, cover and cook for 9 minutes
- Season the veggies with pepper and chilli flakes and place in an ovenproof dish
- Pour the white sauce over and sprinkle the mozzarella and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle the panic breadcrumbs and place in the oven under the grill function for 5 to 8 minutes. Please use your discretion in terms of the timing
- To make the sauce, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and cook for about 4-5 minutes, this will make a roux
- Add the garlic powder and mix well. Add the milk and whisk until it thickens. This may take a few minutes
- Add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, the other half cup will be used to sprinkle on top
- When making the sauce you can adjust according to the consistency you prefer. If you want it thicker add less milk. Personally I don't think it should be too thick or too runny