There’s nothing more refreshing than a cold drink in summer and this Mango Lassi Recipe is the perfect summer drink. I love mango and I love yogurt so these 2 ingredients make a killer combination, with just a hint of cardamom and saffron.
I first drank a mango lassi at an Indian restaurant, it was super-delicious and I was hooked. So whenever I have extra mango in my kitchen I try and use them for this Mango Lassi Recipe. We don’t often have mangoes lying around because my kids love mangoes and they get eaten up quite quickly. It is summer so we have mangoes in abundance, I think I’m going to have to freeze some before they are out of season again.
I’m really lazy about eating fruit so I prefer to add them to my drinks, it’s why I love smoothies so much too. This mango lassi makes a great breakfast smoothie or works great as a cooling accompaniment to spicy meals. I used low-fat yogurt but you can use full-fat yogurt and you can add some cream too.
Making a mango lassi is super easy, all you need is mango and yogurt, You can then add cardamom, saffron and I’ve seen recipes with pistachios, nutmeg, cinnamon. I prefer to keep mine simple and I absolutely loved it with just a hint of cardamom and saffron.
Mango Lassi has a thick consistency so it’s why I add loads of ice when blending mine. I want it to be drinkable, I suppose you can also add milk to thin it out. I prefer not to add sugar to my drink, I think the mango is already sweet enough so I just a add a little honey. You can add more honey if you prefer it sweeter.
Ripe, sweet mangoes work best for this drink, just ensure you don’t use those stringy mangoes. If you don’t have fresh mangoes you can use frozen ones. I don’t often see frozen mangoes in our stores, they always mixed up with some other fruit so I stick to fresh mangoes.
If you are hooked on mangoes like I am, you will love this refreshing Simple Mango Lassi Recipe.
Another one of my Indian Drinks to try is definitely this one:
Mango Lassi Recipe
- 1 cup/250ml mango, fresh or frozen cut into cubes
- 1 cup/250ml plain yogurt I used plain low fat yogurt
- 1/4 tspn cardamom/elachie
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tspn honey you can add more
- 6 ice-cubes adjust according to your preference
- Add the mango to a blender and blend until smooth
- Add the yogurt, cardamom, honey and ice-cubes and blend
- Pour into serving glasses and garnish with saffron
- You can refrigerate until you ready to serve
- You can reduce the amount of yogurt and add some milk if you prefer
- Greek yogurt or double cream yogurt can also be used and you can add some cream if you wish