Simple three ingredient shortbread, crisp, buttery and delicious
- 250 gram butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- +- 2 cups cake wheat flour/all purpose flour
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add flour, a little at a time. You may not require all the flour. Knead well for 10 minutes.
Flatten on a baking sheet, should be about 1cm thick. Prick with a fork (this will prevent the dough from bubbling). The rectangle can be about 18cm x 25cm more or less.Sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake at 160 deg celcius for 40 to 50 minutes. Will be ready when it's a light golden brown on top and edges may be a little deeper brown.Cut into squares/rectangles whilst still warm
Will keep in an airtight container for about a week
- This recipe is makes about 24 pieces of shortbread. You can make it as thick as you want or thinner.
- The kneading creates a crisp, light shortbread
- Depending on the altitude and weather you may use more or less flour
- Most cookies/shortbread will still feel a little soft when removed from the oven but will harden once cool
- The dough does spread a little, you can refrigerate it for about 10 minutes before baking, if you prefer. It will prevent the dough from spreading. Although I skip this step. I just cut the little uneven edges and it's still edible