These Thai–style Salmon Fishcakes are made from canned salmon but they turned out so yummy! I don’t often use canned stuff although I do stock up on stuff like canned tomatoes, chickpeas and baked beans for the sake of convenience. I purchased this can of salmon a few months ago as I was going to use it for some recipe I may have had in mind but I forgot all about it. I must admit I was totally put off Thai food for a while as I once ate at a restaurant and ordered a Thai Curry and it was totally sweet, with every bite I took all I could taste was the sweetness, no other flavours came through and I vowed never to eat Thai food again. However, I did try some delicious food since and I now enjoy Thai dishes again.
I was looking for something quick and easy to cook for my pescatarian husband so this can of salmon was perfect. He loves being adventurous with food although he is fussy about the quality so I thought I should try something different in the form of Thai–style Salmon Fishcakes. Guess what, he loved it and that made me happy as my efforts didn’t go to waste. Although I must admit those wasn’t too much effort to make. For weeknights it’s always great to have simple recipes that can be prepared in a jiffy, I am a stay-at-home mum but I know that my days get quite crazy with the boys, especially being their chauffeur. So I think for working mums it’s even tougher when you have to get home and still think about dinner. It’s always nice to have a few easy recipes at hand. These fishcakes can also be made ahead and frozen so when you don’t have time to cook these come in quite handy.
The flavours are amazing and it’s a perfect, light summer dish that pairs well with a crisp salad.
Thai-style Salmon Fishcakes
- 400 gram canned salmon
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1 stalk lemongrass chopped
- 2 tspn lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp thai red curry paste
- 2 thai green chilli chopped
- 2 birds eye chilli chopped
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 200 gram potato cooked and mashed
- 1 tspn fish sauce
- 3 tbsp light olive oil for frying
- Boil the potato in some cold water until soft, drain and mash. Bruise the lemongrass stalk with a heavy knife, trim the root end and discard the tough outer leaves and chop
- Add all the ingredients, including the potato and lemongrass, into a food processor and whiz until it all comes together and it's a smooth dough like consistency
- Divide the mixture into 8 balls, flatten in the palms of your hand into little patties. Refrigerate for half an hour
- Heat the oil in a pan and shallow fry the fishcakes on medium heat until golden brown