These Spicy Potato Wedges are so good. I guess anything with spice is always good. I haven’t made these in a while but when I do let’s just say it never goes to waste.
Spicy Potato Wedges
Potatoes are my absolute weakness. You know every restaurant you go to they have some sort of potato as a side. So often I am tempted to eat them all but I have to resist.
Very reluctantly I will choose veggies or a salad instead. But come my son’s potato chips or wedges and I forget why I didn’t choose them in the first place…Lol!
I am eating potatoes in moderation these days so don’t judge! I made these Spicy Potato Wedges today and I promise I only had a few.
My seasoning for these potatoe are probably a little different to the usual. I used some Chipotle seasoning which gave these potatoes a lovely smokey flavor. Together with some cumin and paprika because I love spice.
Chipotle seasoning can be found at most major supermarkets. I bought some from Woolworths. These Spicy Potato Wedges makes a great appetizer or side dish.
How to make Spicy Potato Wedges
These are one of the easiest things to make. Even cutting the potatoes are so quick and easy. Unlike chips or french fries where there’s a lot of chopping up.
For this recipe you cut up the potatoes. I usually cut each potato into fours, lengthwise. It’s then tossed with the oil and spices. Popped into the oven for 45 minutes and you have the best potato wedges ever.
If your potatoes are larger you may need to cut them into six pieces or more.
How to make Crunchy Potato Wedges
Firstly you do not drown the potatoes in oil. It needs a light coating of oil for the best results. I do add a little extra spice but I think it’s just enough to get those potatoes cooked right.
Potato Wedges are great baked with the skin on. However, this time round I didn’t use the skin as they didn’t look great.
I had these potatoes that needed to be used up and although they were still fine the skin didn’t look perfect like I wanted it to. I therefore opted not to use them.
However, with or without the skin these potatoes taste amazing. So I guess it’s about how you prefer to make your Spicy Potato Wedges.
The best potatoes to use for these wedges are the floury potatoes such as Sifra or Up to Date Potatoes, found here in SA. In the US you can use Russet or Yukon Gold and in the UK Maris Piper.
I hope you enjoy these potatoes as much as we do. If you do try them please drop me a comment and a star rating, it is always appreciated.
More Potato Recipes to try:
Spicy Potato Wedges
- 1 lb/kg potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 sprigs thyme
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Scrub potatoes and cut them into 4-6 wedges, lengthwise, depending on how big they are
- Mix the seasoning ingredients. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle over the oil. Sprinkle the seasoning over the potatoes and toss well. You can use your hands
- Spread the potatoes onto a baking tray, in a single layer. Bake for 45 minutes. Turn once halfway through baking time. Bake until golden brown and crispy
- Serve hot
- Can be served with tomato sauce, chilli sauce, barbecue sauce or some some cream
- Chipotle peppers is dried, smoke jalapenos. Chipotle seasoning is made from ground peppers. They can be found in most major supermarkets or speciality stores
- These potatoes are great as an appetizer or side dish
- If you really can't get your hands on some chipotle seasoning Cajun Spice works great with these wedges too